My Cat Doesn't Like His Neighbor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

My Cat Doesn't Like His Neighbor

Kuhla, our 5 year old male tabby, came to our home a little less than a month ago. He's a great cat and all, and he still is. The problem arose a couple days ago when a black cat comes to our yard. Kuhla is an indoor cat who didn't ask to be let outside even once since he came to our home, although he does like to look outside the window a lot.

We do know that there are some cats in our neighborhood, but we'd thought that since we're not letting him out, that shouldn't be a problem. But a couple of days ago, he saw one of the neighbor cats for the first time. He was fine with it (I didn't know if it was a he/she). And then a day or two later, a black/gray tabby showed up, and he was fine with it too. He just meowed to us gently whenever the those two cats came by and they'd just look at each other for a long period of time.

However, a couple of days ago, a black cat showed up, and Kuhla started to get pissed off. He doesn't even growl, he SCREAMS so loud whenever he sees that black cat, and he would try to claw him (well, he couldn't because all he does was claw the window). Does this happen to your cats? What should I do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Re: My Cat Doesn't Like His Neighbor

I posted about the same thing a few days ago. Cleo saw a cat outside my bedroom window and was literally screaming at it! What a horrible sound, I'm sure it woke my next door neighbor up. Cinderella joined in the yell-fest, but I finally got them both out of the window and shut it. The cat outside jumped down from its perch.

Probably the best thing to do is distract your kitty, take him to another room and give him a couple treats and play his favorite game until the intruder goes away. Sometimes you can have unwanted behavior from misdirected aggression - spraying and such.

But I"m no expert whatsoever at cat behavior. Much more knowledgeable members will hopefully post real suggestions.

Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Probably the best thing to do is distract your kitty, take him to another room and give him a couple treats and play his favorite game until the intruder goes away. Sometimes you can have unwanted behavior from misdirected aggression - spraying and such.
I agree with the distraction, but I wouldn't recommend touching a cat who's in that state. Sometimes if a cat isn't near the one he wants to bite, he'll bite the one he's near. Learned that one the hard way (I think the scars have mostly faded now...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I think Kuhla is being territorial with the black cat. I don't know why the other cats didn't seem to bother him. I agree with the distraction suggestion.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'll try to distract him and see how he reacts the next time black cat comes by then. Because all I could think of last time was just to chase the annoying neighbor away... >_<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page