Peeing On The Couch! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Peeing On The Couch!

I posted here a little while back about my two cats who were constantly pooping on the floor beside their litter box. After switching litter and food brands and moving the boxes around a little bit, they have started pooping in the boxes regularily again. Now we have a new problem. Both cats (both females) are now constantling urinating on our very expensive leather furtniture. Both cats are healthy, have been checked for UTIs and nothing is out of the ordinary so I am very confused as to their recent change in behaviour. Can anyone give me any suggestions or advice on how I can put a stop to this behaviour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Peeing On The Couch!

You may need to try to prevent them from having access to the leather furniture, either by closing the door or keeping a protective cover over the leather. Unfortunately, some leather processes use things that make the leather smell a certain way, and I don't know if the cats give them attention because they like the smell or because the smell offends them.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately our house is very open concept so there isn't really any way to block the cats from coming into our living room. We have tried covering the couches with blankets (mainly to prevent the cats from getting scratch marks in the leather) but they are perfectly happy to pee on the blankets as well. We've tried a cat deterent spray on the furniture but haven't had much luck with it. Now we're simply using a squirt bottle of water to give the cats a quick spray if they go on the furniture. They don't seem to get the point though. Any suggestions on how we can train them to steer clear of the furniture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

Oh! Oh! Oh! Do a search for "Scat Mats"!!!!! http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752972 After a couple times of jumping on the couch and getting a startled zap, I'm sure they'll leave it alone! Smart pets can sometimes figure out when the mat is off or removed, but most have been sufficiently deterred that they'll no longer try to get on that area.
*A caution; once you use the scat mat to keep them off that particular area, do not confuse them with removing the mat to sit there yourselves and try to get the cats to sit with you. Keep them off, period. Also, do not try to make the cat sit/cuddle with you because besides confusing them with 'not okay' and 'okay', they *may* get freaked out that you are carrying them to 'the zap place' and injure you while trying to escape from your grasp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page