reaction to harness - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

reaction to harness

My kitty reacts to the harness (even without a leash) either by sitting with belly flat to the floor, or walking slowly short distances with flexed front legs, and pausing to sit flat on the floor again. She also doesn't run when wearing it. The harness isn't tight. What could be her logic for doing this? Should I assume that she is just simply in the process of getting used to it? Or could the harness be hurting somewhere when she tries to walk normally? Has anyone experienced this before with their cat? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Premier Cat

Re: reaction to harness

Welcome!
Your kitty is reacting to feeling "confined" or "trapped" by the harness and she is trying to slink away from it or out from under it...but that doesn't work, so she just lays down. Eventually, she will grow used to it and will move more comfortably, but it will just take time for her to get used to it. I would not take her outside until she is comfortable wearing it in the house. You do NOT want your kitty outside, panicking and perhaps escaping and becoming injured/lost.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! That makes sense. I will see what she does in the next few days. She didn't mind a basic collar at all. Perhaps the more complex structure of a harness is what's bothering her now. I'm glad I found this forum. She is my first cat and she just followed us into the house and decided to make it her own. Approx 3-years old, part-Siamese, with a clean bill of health as per the vet. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Tom Cat

One of my boys, Patch, does the same thing every time we put the harness on. We wanted him to get used to it, just in case we need it one day, so we keep putting it on him a few times a week for a few minutes since he's 3 months old. He still didn't like it after a year so we stopped! lol He's stubborn!

My other cat never did that. He just walks and plays like usual when we put the harness on.

So I also think it's a "personnality thing" and our precious kitties just feel trapped and they are trying to escape!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Cool Cat

When I was in grad school my housemate's cat had that same reaction to the harness. Eventually my housemate decided she was going to put the harness on and LEAVE it on until Autumn stopped creeping around and started walking normally.

A month later, my housemate declared, "All, right, you WIN!" and took the harness off.

Autumn is a stubborn cat, though. Most of them apparently DO quit with the "poor crippled kitty" routine eventually.

I would have loved to have had a webcam to see if Autumn kept up the "crippled kitty" thing when no one was home. I'm betting she didn't...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

LOOL 'the "poor crippled kitty" routine' is a perfect description of that reaction
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Update: Kitty has resumed her normal gait around the house, with the harness. Thanks for everyone's advice. Now the trick is to get her to understand that gently pulling the leash means: "walk in a certain direction" rather "fall flabby and surrender to gravity because mommy kitty is picking you from the back of your neck"
Cats are hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page