Peanut is acting nuts... >.> - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Peanut is acting nuts... >.>

Hello All!

My cat, Peanut, is being a very strange kitty. I feel like I have to fill you in on her background to give you a true appreciation for the situation:

She has had a very hard life: she was abandoned as a kitten, then adopted by someones daughter who spoiled her rotten, then SHE abandoned her and left Peanut with her cruel father who did not want her so he put Peanut out... poor baby is such a sweet kitty that she has no fight in her. My Grandma found her and brought her to our house because one of our cats, Rosie, ran away and my little sister was absolutely distraught.

Peanut simply COULD NOT relax in our home because she constantly smelled another cat that was nowhere to be found! So for about 2 months, she yowled and meowed all over the house looking for Rosie. Fast forward one more month: Guess who made her way home? Rosie! So now, Peanut thinks she's the Alpha cat and the REAL Alpha cat comes home and is NOT pleased at all with the situation.

Rosie and Peanut constantly fought over a period of 6 weeks. Both were fixed, but terribly territorial (and understandably so, I suppose) and Rosie finally scared Peanut into submission, and took to being an outdoor cat - however, Peanut remained a very skittish kitty.

Well, I'd been planning to live with my boyfriend in NY for some time and it became clear that something needed to be done about Peanuts situation. It was decided that I would take her with me from Ohio to New York.

About a week before the move, Peanut became very depressed. She started hiding in corners, mewing pathetically, and not eating the way she used to. She wouldn't play or nuzzle anyone. I got very worried. She was pretty OK during the 6 hour drive. Of course, she meowed the whole way but not funny behavior for a poor kitty in a carrier on the road.

But now we're here, all is unpacked, and I'm home with her pretty much all day but I CAN'T get her to stop meowing! If she's on the bed with me and I'm petting her, it's all good. The second I walk out of the room, though, she follows me around meowing and crying and yowling like something is wrong. She has ample food, she is drinking water, she seems healthy, but she has this feline-funk I just can't get her out of. She isn't playing like she used to and she's very needy - always trying to be a lap kitty. It's like she's constantly distressed.

I'm worried that at this rate she's going to become too dependent and it will be hard for me to start working my new job without her suffering. Can ANYONE help me think of ways to make our apartment more comforting and welcoming for our Peanut, or even explain her behavior? I am trying to be understanding of her needs and I do love her, but this constant meowing is driving me crazy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page