Please help!!! I don't know what to do. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Please help!!! I don't know what to do.

Four years ago, I was given a beautiful Russian Blue. He was declawed and neutered when I got him. Skittish, a very sensitive and mild tempered little male. It took 4 months of feeding an empty home before he decided to come out and meet me. He's been my best friend since then. Comes to greet me when I come come from work. Lovely personality. His name is Fonzy.

Two years ago my daughter saw a free kittens sign and fell in love with a pretty female black cat. She didn't get along with any of the cats at my daughters' house, so she left Sox here with me. Fonzys personality accepted her brash personality. And they were friends.

She had 3 littlers of kittens. Each time, he would help with the care taking. Never harmed a hair, and Sox trusted him with them completely. The third litter is 5 weeks old now, and Sox went crazy 2 days ago. Started beating up on him. He has no claws to fight back with. And she tears him to pieces.And he's gotten scared to come in the house. I don't know what to do to get them to be friends again. I love them both.

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Please help!!! I don't know what to do.

Welcome, and I hope we can help you with your cat problem.

First, I think you've played Russian Roulette with your cats and managed to get lucky until this litter came along.
Most female cats will become rabidly protective over their litter, no matter how close of friends the cats were beforehand. It is an instinctual response and there is no way to know for certain what set her off *this* time, when she was fine the other times.

If I had to guess, I would say Sox either saw or smelled another cat and it triggered her protective instincts.
This is a common form of 'misdirected aggression' where a cat sees/smells/hears something that unsettles it and puts them on edge. Because they have no outlet to reach the source of what is bothering them, they can attack whatever is nearest...which can be pets they've been great friends with all their lives or even their people. A cat who does this isn't mean or crazy, its' instincts are demanding it behave in a certain manner and they are trying to comply and release the aggression and/or protective instincts their body is demanding be expended.

SEPERATE THEM. Sox and her litter should go into 'isolation' to protect Fonzy.
I've only had one cat (Shadow) kitten in my home in 2004, but I've raised numerous foster and orphaned kitten litters. They all stayed in my master bathroom and as they got older and would come to me when called, they were allowed into the master bedroom for exercise and more room to explore during the day. I brought Shadow into my home when she was hugely pregnant and she kittened 10 days later. At first she was very friendly with all of the housecats but as soon as her litter was born, she became a changed cat and I had to be *very* careful to never let her and the other cats mingle because of her protective instincts. After her litter was weaned and taken to the adoption center, she relaxed and was happy to meet the other housecats. She has turned into a great little cat (sleeping on the desk next to me right now) who gets along with all the other cats.

Finally, I am very sorry to just butt-in, but I feel I must urge you to please spay Sox. Every litter from a non-pedigree'd cat is contributing to the huge numbers of pet-overpopulation.
In addition, I would also like to urge you to stop letting Fonzy, a de-clawed cat whom you have admitted has no way to defend himself, outside unattended. The dangers are great for cats who *do* have the means to defend themselves. The dangers are far greater for a cat who *does not* have the means to defend himself.

Best of luck with Sox and Fonzy.
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page