Cat not recognized by other cat after vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat not recognized by other cat after vet

I just brought my cat back from the vet where she had some major dental work. She had to have all her teeth pulled.

The cats recognized each other on sight but when they sniffed each other the cat that stayed home got scared and ran away. I was expecting this and I did the vanilla extract on the neck thing.

My question is: how long before her scent returns to normal?

regards,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Cat not recognized by other cat after vet

I've had them be wary of each other for several days (like 3-4), with a little minor hissing here and there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you for the quick replies.

Poor Gypsy had to have all her teeth pulled today. We knew her teeth were bad after we adopted her, but this came as a surprise.

She wasn't allowed to eat when she first got home but when I finally opened the can my other cat, Kit came out of hiding, so she got some extra food tonight.

Fortunately there was no hissing. Kits is just nervous. It seems like she can't understand why her eyes and her nose are giving her different information. I guess the nose dominates.

Now I just need to keep an eye on Kit, because she tends to get constipated when she is stressed. Never a dull moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Did you do scent swapping along with the vanilla? That helps too....

Poor Gypsy, but I'm sure she'll do fine.

There was one time when Callie went in for a cleaning and they pulled 2 teeth. Maggie wasn't pleased with all the funny smells and was a little hissy. The next morning, they were in the kitchen waiting for breakfast, I could see that Callie was feeling a lot better than the night before and was really looking forward to her meal. She was excited and going around in circles like she usually did....bumped into Maggie, who raised her paw and hauled off and slugged poor Callie right in the mouth!!!! Fortunately it didn't phase Callie in the least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks Doodlebug, I did rub them both with the same towel. I think is helped some.

Kit has relaxed some, but still seems suspicious of Gypsy. Her behavior remind me of this show I saw about people with a rare brain injury. Even though they recognized other peopleís appearance, they are still convinced everyone they know is an imposter.

Anyway they ate breakfast normally and Gypsy knows when Kit is in a bad mood and gives her some space, so I think they will be OK.

The doctor said Gypsy would be out sorts for a couple of days, but she seemed like her regular goofy self this morning. He also said we will probably notice Gypsy has a lot more energy and is happier because she was is a lot of pain for such a long time. If this is true, we are in big trouble. Kitís already packing her bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page