Four cats, one gets picked on - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Four cats, one gets picked on

Hi. I am new here, and I was just wondering what would be the best way to go about this.

We have four cats. Two males, Charlie, an orange tabby short hair who is 4, and Doug, a white and orange Maine Coon who is not quite 3, and two females, Cole, a short haired tuxedo, and Brenna, a black and white long haired, both females are 10.

Our problem is Brenna. She has never gotten along with any of the other cats, except for Cole, who was here before she was. The boys especially pick on her, and won't let her in to use the litterboxes and eat out of their food bowls. We also have two dogs, but they aren't the problem at all. Brenna likes the dogs.

For the past year, Brenna has had her own room. She is allowed out, but is allowed to go back into her room whenever she wants. However, having a whole room for one cat is not practical, and we will someday need to use that room again.

In her room is her two litterboxes, and her own food and water bowls, cat scratchers and two (human-twin sized) beds. Plus a window.

What I was thinking, was installing an electronic cat door on a closet, and only putting a sensor on her collar. In the closet would be a bed, a litterbox and food and water. Do you think this would work? Would the other cats find a way to get into the closet? We literally have tried EVERYTHING before this room, since she would pee and poop outside of the litterboxes before this, since she wasn't really allowed access.

Has anyone had any success with something like this? I don't want to rehome her,or any of the other cats, but any other suggestions are welcome. I just really want to transition her to not having her own room, but I want her to feel safe and secure in the process. We have a large under the stairs closet that I would use for this, I just don't know how she will react to using a cat door, and I don't know how the other cats will react.

Thanks in advance, and I will answer any questions you have if you need more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Four cats, one gets picked on

That is a great idea! Sorry, I don't have much experiance to share; all of my cats have been siblings. The other cats might find a way in; they can be pretty tricky. But I think it's worth a try.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: Four cats, one gets picked on

Thanks. I think I will look into cleaning out that closet and getting my husband to install the door in the next couple of weeks. This way she can be more a part of the family, but still retain her safe spot if she needs it.

I just hope the other cats will not try and break into her spot.

They all ready run in her "room" whenever I am changing her water, feeding her or scooping her box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page