Need help! Potty problem! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Need help! Potty problem!

My cat was a federal cat before. I adopted her a year ago and she is still having trouble of potty in her little box. The first day she was in my house, she didn't have any problem with the little box and went straight to the box. I have cleaned the little box 2 times a day and always picked up stuff each time I cleaned it.

I have kept the little box in the basement and discovered some smell during this summer. I found out she was peeing somewhere in the basement (but still using the little box). She peed at one of the conners in the basement, I cleaned it, then she started at another conner later. I tried to put some training pad at those conners (well, at least keep the pee on the floor and I can throw one away after she uses it), and she was OK for a while, then went to somewhere else again. So, I got another little box to put it the conner she liked to go, well, she used it (and the old one) for a week then moved on to other conners.

I have used orange oil, grapefruit oil, black pepper, peppermint oil, apple vinegar, white vinegar, and many kind of cleaner products, but still can not keep her away from those conners.

I have tried open little box, covered little box, and little box with a door. She uses them all but just like to pee somewhere else sometimes. She has peed in front of me at a conner 2 times. She doesn't seem like want to hide or something. She just pee on a flat area and walk out with a "I don't get a fxxk" face.

I don't know what she's thinking and what I can do for her.

She is my first cat, and I never have any experience of having cats.

Anyone can help me please reply!

* she got fixed right after I got her and she is on Taste of the Wild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Need help! Potty problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggi
She uses them [litter boxes] all but just like to pee somewhere else sometimes.
She has peed in front of me at a conner 2 times.
She doesn't seem like want to hide or something.
She just pee on a flat area and walk out with a "I don't get a fxxk" face.
I don't know what she's thinking and what I can do for her.
"She has peed in front of me ... 2 times." Your cat is YELLING at you, but the problem is you don't understand what she is trying to tell you.

Your cat is telling you, in the only way she has, that she has a problem. The peeing in other areas was the first clue. The peeing in other areas *in front of you* is an even bigger clue. She is trying to get your attention so you can help her.

The number one reason cats pee in inappropriate areas is due to a medical problem.
This could be crystals in her urine, kidney stones and/or an infection/inflamation because of either of these problems. She needs to see the vet, so the vet can get a urine sample for analysis. Depending on what the vet finds, will determine how she is treated. Treatment can consist of medications and diet changes to keep her hydrated and change the Ph of her urine to prevent crystals and stones from developing.
The reason she is peeing in other areas is because crystals/stones/infection/inflamation is *painful* and she associates the litter-box with that pain. She tries to pee in other areas, hoping it won't hurt to pee *there*. They will pee on soft things and smooth surfaces, trying to find somewhere, anywhere!, that it doesn't hurt to pee.

The best thing for removing urine odors is to use an enzymatic cleaner. Really soak it into the area. You can give it a light scrub, but it is best if you really soak it and let it air dry. This gives the enzymes time to break down the odor-causing microbes. Sometimes you have to treat a heavily soiled area several times by soaking and letting it air dry.
Best of luck, and let us know what the vet says...
Heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: Need help! Potty problem!

Than you so much! Jada is going to see her vet on Friday. We'll see what really is happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page