Crazy behavior in the litter box. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Crazy behavior in the litter box.

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums. I currently own two cats. The cats are sisters, and were born in January 2009. One of them is a trouble maker, and the other is laid back. Anyhow, my dilema is this; when the trouble maker uses the litter box, she digs into the litter so hard, that she flings litter over the box and onto the floor making a mess. I tried buying a taller litter box, but that's done nothing. I don't want to buy an enclosed litter box because I'm sort of pressed for space and relocating the litter box would be a pain. I currently keep it under a table I don't use. Any ideas on what could be causing my cat to do this, and are there any remedies? Thanks a lot everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Crazy behavior in the litter box.

Welcome...and I'm afraid you aren't going to like my answer... There is no remedy to change the cat's behavior.

Your cat is exhibiting a very strong instinct to dig/bury her waste.
There is just no fighting or altering genetics and/or instincts. The best we can do, is compromise and cope, helping the animal to do what its' instincts are demanding it do but in a manner that *we* can live with.
This is along the same lines as their scratching/nail-sharpening behavior. Their instinct is to scratch. We don't want our furniture scratched, so we give them other, suitable things, to scratch on and reward them for their good behavior.

You will need to give this kitty something more suitable to her behavior, and one that you can live with.
Be happy your cat doesn't have the problem *I* had to deal with...which was a cat who would start pee-ing in the squat position, and slowly raise his back end until he was standing straight up...and still pee-ing!
Hooded litterboxes were a MUST because of him.

How tall is the table you currently keep their box under? If it is a regular dining-type table, you can easily fit a jumbo-hooded litterbox under there. Even better, would be placing an office chair carpet protecter and a small whisk broom/pan to keep there and sweep up scattered litter at every cleaning. Best would be a litterbox with some type of flap-door barrier that would keep the litter kicked in that direction landing inside the box, too.
Some members use Rubermaid/Totes, either having their cats jump in from the open top, or they cut an entry hole in the lid or side. When selecting one of these, find one that does NOT have any interior supporting ribs that could hinder scoopablilty.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Premier Cat

Yup, some kitties just love to dig and fling litter everywhere. It's fun!
When I had a digger, I used a storage bin (without the lid) as a litter box. It was about the same size as a litter box but about a foot tall. Worked great and was way cheaper than a cat box. Bonus!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Cool Cat

I just use a rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in the lid, because my girls pee standing up. You only need a hole about six inches wide, smaller if they're still pretty small, and you can always cut it bigger as they grow. And you don't need a really tall box - mine is 14 inches tall, about the same height as Fern when she's standing very tall on all fours, and the girls are both fine with it. Fern likes to stretch her neck out and look around while she poops, so she just digs a hole in a corner and sticks her head out the hole as she's going.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKitties
Fern likes to stretch her neck out and look around while she poops, so she just digs a hole in a corner and sticks her head out the hole as she's going.
I'm very sorry, but this image in my head made me giggle and snort! I kept thinking of her peering around and then I thought about "Whack-a-Mole" and lost it!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q

I'm very sorry, but this image in my head made me giggle and snort! I kept thinking of her peering around and then I thought about "Whack-a-Mole" and lost it!
Oh that's hysterical! And I didn't even tell you guys that sometimes while Fern is sticking her head out, Fergie jumps up from beside the box and bats her on the head! The first time she did it Fern was so startled the poop rocketed out of her rear end, hit and streaked the side of the box, and left her very confused and distraught when she tried to cover her poop and it wasn't working. She ended up piling half the litter in the box into the corner until it was finally high enough to cover the streak on the side, and came out looking extremely indignant as hubby and I were laughing hysterically.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Premier Cat

OMG! The whole Fergie/Fern/Whack-a-mole combined with rocket-poops and streaks "thing" has me LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!! Oh, my, tee-hee, that is just *crazy*! Hoo-hoo-hoo..ha-ha-hah...eeee-yaaaahhhhh. *tissue to blot eyes* Hoo-boy!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Cool Cat

Chrish, sorry to get a little side tracked there, but my girls are sisters too, and even when they're not related you never know what two cats will do around the litter box.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

When the twins were younger, they would surprise attack each other in the litter box! My poor paranoid peeing peeps.

When the sun hits it just right, Cali will sometimes lie in the litterbox as if she's on a sunny beach somewhere.

I know my girls are spoiled, but geesh!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Premier Cat

Marmalade (1996-200 loved to PLAY in the litterbox just after I'd scooped all the waste out. He would leap in there, and as the 'sand' scattered and hit the plastic sides, making a swishing sound, he'd spin around and use his paws to try and "catch" those sounds, of course this made even MORE sand scatter and swish, which meant ANOTHER spin around to catch the noise, which made *more* noise; spin-swat, swish-spin-swat, swish-spin-swat and so on and so on, until he tired or got fully crazy and rocket-butt mode ran zooming out of the litterbox and dashed all over the house with wild/crazy eyes, ears laid back and tail all fluffed out and curled over his back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page