bringing an outside cat in - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

bringing an outside cat in

We 'acquired' a kitty a couple months ago. We were outside working on the car and he walked up meowing and has been our outside baby ever since. He loves attention, even demands it. We live in Georgia and it is extremely hot so today I mentioned we should bring him inside and see how he does. We set him down just inside the door and he layed down with us and let us rub him and seemed fine. He explored a little even. I brought him to our bedroom where he will be most of the time (we live with my boyfriend's dad but have the master bed/bath so there's tons of room) and he freaked out a little. I was setting up his litterbox when my BF said he peed on the floor in the bedroom. We imediately put him in his litterbox but he just layed down and started purring. Do you think he'll learn to use the litterbox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Premier Cat

Re: bringing an outside cat in

Welcome.
Yes, I think he'll eventually learn to use the litterbox. Your best bet would be to clean the pee-spot on the carpet with an enzymatic cleaner designed for cleaning up pet accidents. The enzymes break down the odor causing bacteria and remove all traces of scent so the cat doesn't come back and associate that area as a 'bathroom' area because of any lingering scent.
When I bring in outside cats, I like to put a pee-clump and a doodie from my other cats, on top of the litter so the new cat can sniff and learn *that* is where they should do their business. With a new cat...maybe you could sop up some of the pee-spot with some toilet paper and leave some of the pee'd TP in the litterbox as a scent-marker for him?
Cats really are fastidious and like to be neat. I think he just has to learn to recognize that "the box" is now where he needs to go.
Best of luck,
heidi

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, I put him back outside after the incident because we were not going to be home for a couple of hours. We are about to bring him back in and give him a bath. I figured I would put him in the bathroom with his food and water, litterbox and kitty condo for the night. Then tomorrow I will see how he does with a larger area of the house. Hopefully he will be a great inside kitty. I just hate to see him outside miserable in this heat. He is very long haired as well, so I know he is miserable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

update: We gave him a bath which he tolerated surprisingly well. We dried him off and he went straight to the litterbox and used it! I am so relieved! He's laying in his kitty condo now cleaning himself. I'm sure I'll have more questions and am so glad I found this forum! Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 AM
Premier Cat

Yay! Sounds like he just needed to get things figured out. I always think rescued kitties make the best pets...they know which side their bread is buttered on and who hands it to them.
Pictures?

I hear you about the Georgia heat! I just treated an outside stray with an URI (upper respiratory infection) and I had to keep him outside so he wouldn't infect my indoor cats. So, he got anti-biotics and I was able to give him fluid under the skin once a day. He had been 'missing' for 3 days (I only feed him when I see him, so I don't attract racoons and possums) before I finally discovered him, covered in flies in the barn and smelling rotten. After I found him, he stayed up by the house and didn't eat until the 3rd day...so he was around 5-6 days with no food and probably just the sub-q fluids I was giving him. I'm sure he would have died in the heat if I hadn't been able to give him fluids that way.
I am holding my breath right now, because one of my housecats has sneezed a couple times. I think I'm going to give her some anti-biotics as a precaution, just-in-case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page