Introducing new puppy to cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introducing new puppy to cat

Hello all. I'm pretty new to cat ownership. I've had my Nell for 6 months now and it's been wonderful. She is such a sweet kitty and absolutely loves our Labrador. She found us in December, walked into our home and made herself welcomed with our family including our female Lab. We just brought home a 12 week old german shepherd puppy (he's a male) and Nell is absolutely ticked off at this. He has never seen a cat before and immediately started barking at her when he saw her.

I have her in a separate room today to calm her down, but how would I go about easing her stress over the new puppy? I knew this would be tricky, but her growling and hissing worries me. Should I leave her in her room for a couple of days - bringing her out for short times to get used to the puppy?

I'm at a loss on this one. ANY suggestions from those of you who have been through this will be such a help!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Re: Introducing new puppy to cat

Not that a recommend this, but a neighbor of mine growing up raised both cats and dogs. When the cats and dogs were young, she would put the kitten on the dogs back and pet them both profusely while talking sweetly.

It seemed to work out well, but I would recommend wearing gloves the first time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by izcaturday
Not that a recommend this, but a neighbor of mine growing up raised both cats and dogs. When the cats and dogs were young, she would put the kitten on the dogs back and pet them both profusely while talking sweetly.

It seemed to work out well, but I would recommend wearing gloves the first time.
I can't count how many ways that this is such a bad idea. If I did that with my cats and dogs at the start it would have ended badly. Claws going into the dogs back, dog trying to bite because it is scared/confused/uncomfortable... not a smart thing to do at all despite it working well for your neighbor.

I've been lucky with both of my dogs, Drifter was older when he first encountered cats and could care less about them. Boone was 4 months old we I brought him home and I feared for my kitties but he did very well. He was interested in them, they were used to dogs at that point but were interested in him as he was new. He did chase them but the one cat promptly gave him a good telling off and he now leaves that one alone however he still chases the other when she runs around but never harms a hair on her head.

Read this article.. its pretty handy. http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Cat.html
Keep the puppy on a leash when around the cat, when you can't supervise them keep them separated by a baby gate or something of the sort that the dog can't get over. During visits should the puppy get too excited and start barking, pulling etc take it aside and have it calm down before starting again. You shouldn't let there be a bad experience but letting the puppy get too excitable and scaring the cat during the first while, look for signs that either are scared or getting excited and stop the session there. I article however does a pretty good job and explaining this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh, I cringed on that suggestion of trying to put my Nell on the back of the puppy. I think that would be more stressful and damaging for both animals to ever get along by forcing it on each other and I would be ripped to shreads myself.

Thank you for the link. I will definately read up on that. As an update - Nell (my cat) is slowly creeping around checking out the puppy. The puppy does get excited and starts to bark and want to chase, and of course, Nell hisses and runs off. I'm keeping him on a leash when Nell comes around (she usually retreats upstairs). It seems to be getting better - hopefully within the next month she will be much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page