Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Help!

Hi there!

So I have a bit of a problem. My friend has a cat that she recently got from her aunt. Her aunt found a stray cat and the cat ended up having kittens. A few days after, the mother cat died. The kittens were then bottle fed. My friend got to take one of the kittens home with her. The cat was very affectionate, he loved to play, and he would let anyone pick him up. Now that a few months have passed, the cat's attitude has completely changed. One day my friend's sister came over with her little dog. The dog and the cat played at first, but the next time the dog came over, the cat would become extremely upset, hiss and attack at it. Then the cat would start to hiss at the company my friend had over at her house. We thought he was acting out at the other people because they smelled like their own cats. But we really don't know. Then he would start to hiss at me and even try to attack me. I don't go near him now or try to pick him up because I'm scare of what he will do. He has scratched up my friend pretty good now.
Lately it just seems like he's getting worse. Last night they had the family over and my friend went to pick the cat up to move him to a different room. Well apparently he really gouged her up and she's at the point where she's actually afraid of him. They don't know what to do anymore. He's hissing at attacking at everybody now. She said if he turns on her dad, then the cat is gone. Her mom said they might have to give him away to a shelter or something. He's not very old now, he's maybe 6months? I'll have to get the real age.

Any suggestions as to what to do? He's completely nasty now and nobody knows why.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Help!

Has he had his injections and does he have access to the outside?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

What do the injections include? [Sorry I'm really not a cat person, hahaha. I'm just trying to help her out and I thought asking here might work!] He's not allowed outside because he won't come back. They've lost him a couple of times now and they no longer want him to go outside. He has access to three litter boxes throughout the house that are always kept clean. He has access to food and water and he knows where they are. The food he is on is some dental formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Cat Addict

Well, you didn't state where you live and I don't want to scare you, but I would take the cat to vet and tell them about the issue.

One thing, since we had another poster who went through a similar problem, to check is his rabies vaccine.

I doubt that is the issue, but I would certainly get him to the vet for a health check anyway. If the vet says he is healthy then it's time to start looking for other reasons
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Oh, sorry haha. We're in Alberta, Canada. They just got him licensed a few months ago.

Okay, I will suggest that to them! Thank you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM

I'd say take him to the vet aswell I'm in Alberta, Canada too. Calgary actually !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

We're in Calgary as well!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Crazy I've been on here about my kitties too, just adopted them ! What part of Calgary are you from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page