Mother Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mother Cat

My cat has just recently had her long expected kittens. They are about 2 and a half to 3 weeks old. There are six of them, which was certainly surprising seeing as though she is a very small cat. The birthing went extremely well and all of the kittens seem to be rather healthy (though they do mew a lot, but I figure that is perfectly normal from what I remember in the past). Currently they are attempting to crawl out of their box which is extremely cute. However, the mother cat is constantly getting up and leaving. Sometimes she goes to the other room, but most of the time she just sits somewhere else in my room instead of with her kittens. This is the first abnormality.

Secondly, she is being VERY affectionate (or so it seems). She is always jumping on my lap, nudging me, and following me around. The thing that makes me wonder what is going on is the fact that she is constantly meowing at me like she wants something, but I can't figure out what it is. I pick her up and she squirms until I put her down; I let her jump on my lap and pet her which only lasts a few minutes at most and them she jumps down after nudging my hands all of the time. She also appears as though she is searching for something. She wanders around all of the rooms of the house and look in all of the dark spaces and meows whenever we come by. She even turned all of the blankets up in her box where the kittens are like she is looking for something. I am constantly counting the little guys, and there are always six. I am beginning to get worried because I don't know what she wants and she seems pretty frantic about it. Is she just getting tired of always being a mom and is trying to find a place to escape and be alone?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Mother Cat

It's not uncommon for a mother cat to move the kittens. If you can "read" her and know where she wants to take them, you could move the bed for her, and move one kitten. If she likes it, she'll move all the kittens.

The other possiblility is that she is in season. Female cats can come in within days after the kittens are born. Just keep her inside, away from tom cats, and give her extra love. As soon as the kittens are weaned, have her spayed.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Mother Cat

Hmmm. Well that would make sense actually. My room isn't always the most quiet place, but I figure at this point it wouldn't be such a big deal. Well, if she does end up moving them I guess that isn't such a bad thing. I will just have to watch out for where she moves them to. Thanks, that was helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page