Making an indoor/outdoor cat an indoor cat in a new house - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Making an indoor/outdoor cat an indoor cat in a new house

Hello, I've just joined this forum!

Okay, here's some backstory.
I moved to Minneapolis from a city in Kansas about a month ago. I left a five year old cat named Henry at home because where I am currently living I can't have any pets. He's been mine his whole life, and even though I am gone and missing him terribly, he seems to be getting along fine with my mother and sister taking care of him. No behavioral changes or anything like that.
A year from now, I will be finished with school and moving into an apartment of my own in my new city. I hope to bring Henry up here to live with me. How should I go about doing this?
I'm very paranoid about him being outdoors as it is right now. I hate knowing that something could happen to my baby! My mother knows I plan on doing this, so I'm going to have her keep an eye on him and possibly start to make a gradual transition to let him stay inside more at his home in Kansas. The only problem with that is that my father will NOT have a litter box in his house

Any advice is very much appreciated. I miss Henry so much and just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for him when he moves up here with me.

Thanks in advance,
Monique

Henry :3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Making an indoor/outdoor cat an indoor cat in a new house

Well that is going to be a BIG problem with no litterbox! That certainly isn't viable, he will be stressed too not knowing where he can eliminate.

Anyway, if you really want my opinion..if your parents don't mind and your cat is safe being an indoor/outdoor cat, I would leave him with them. He seems to be happy and that's what you want for him ?

I think it would be difficult for the cat to move to a new home and also have his outdoor 'freedom' removed.

Maybe you could think about getting a new cat for your apartment, one that is already used to being indoors?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Cool Cat

Not all cats are alike. I refuse to let my cats read this site because they have no idea they are supposed to be so picky.

From reading on here, it is advisable to keep an indoor/outdoor cat indoors for at least a month when you move them. This will give you a chance to see how he does. I would plan on having a litterbox of dirt available and one with some cat attrack litter available. Expect a few accidents, though they may not happen. Get a cat tree or two and lots of toys. Indoor only cats need more playtime and interaction - which is one of the reasons I have pets anyway.

My cats and dogs love to travel. The cats aren't too fond of the time in the crate while I'm driving, but they will turn around and choose to sleep in their crate when we arrive. <sigh> They love exploring the new place, even it's one they've been to often. I really believe they take their attiude from me - when I am happy and relaxed, so are they. They even do well at the vet - the dogs think it is a treat to go to the vet, the cats don't even pout.

Give your cat a couple of months to adjust to the new life style. I think you will be surprised how well it goes.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Xanti and Mom of 4!
Good news! I think my mom has convinced my dad to put a small litter box in Henrys room (my old room)
She's also going to get some cat-safe plants to put around the room to try to make it a little outdoorsy.
Who knows, maybe a year from now he'll be a complete indoor cat in Kansas!

Suggestions are still welcome and wanted!

<3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

oh, and another thing!
I'm not sure how troublesome accident he might have will be.
If he ever goes inside, which doesn't happen very often, he always goes in the bathroom!
It's the strangest thing! We DID have a litter box in there about two years ago, but only for a couple months.
A cat from the neighborhood was staying with us for a while, and we didn't want to let her outside.
Maybe he got used to the idea of having the option of going in there haha.
I'll have my mom put an extra litter box in there!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

That's great.
Just wanted to add that cats are extremely territorial so, transitioning them from outdoor to indoor kitties is a lot easier in a new environment. It's simply establishing the inside area as his instead of actually taking away part of his area. So don't get discourage if it doesn't happen while he's still at your parents. It might but it might not.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page