Bump under skin? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Bump under skin?

So I was just at the vet and they did a check up aswell as vacination and deworming pill and the vet said all was well with Keenala my newly adopted kitty, but the other day I was giving her a rub down and noticed on her side she has a weird bump under her skin, feels like a piece of rice, and it moves around. Anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Bump under skin?

Skin growths are lumps of tissue that are within the skin or can be felt under the skin. Cats can develop small bumps (papules) or larger bumps (nodules) on their skin. These lumps and bumps are fairly common occurrences, especially in the older cat.

Very often the word "lump" brings the word "cancer" to mind. However, there are many other causes of lumps. A skin growth or mass may be a malignant or benign tumor, an abscess, a cyst, a hematoma (blood-filled mass) or a reaction by the skin to an allergen (hives). Lumps are often benign accumulations of fat called lipomas. However, all lumps should be evaluated for the possibility of malignancy.

What to Watch For

Any new lump or bump should be evaluated right away, especially a lump that is rapidly growing, is warm or painful, is ulcerated or bleeding, is irregular in shape or is well attached to the tissues under the skin.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/skin-growt ... page1.aspx

Hope that helps
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Where is this bump? Is it up near her shoulder blades or general vicinity? I'm thinking it might be a microchip. Do you know if she's been chipped? Did you ask the vet when you were there? The vet should be able to scan and see if it's a chip, even the shelter you got her from should be able to test it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

True, she does have a microchip I know that. I also called the vet and they said it could be from her vacination, and it is in that area, so i'm thinking it's one of those two things. If its not gone by friday I will take her in. Thanks for the advice
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM

My cat is a stray that I have had for 4 years and he is suspected to be around 8 years old. Recently he has developed lots of these pea sized lumps under his skin. I obviously took him to the vet and he is going to have some of them biopsed and one large one by his anus (i know its gross) removed. What worried me was that the doctor acted like he had never see anything like it. I google it but nothing really came up. He is also a diabetic however the vet thinks that the diabetes may have nothing to do with the lumps. I should also mention:

He does not seem to be bothered by them, they cause him no pain when they are touched.
He has not lost his appetite.
He is not lethargic.

has anyone heard of anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page