Leash training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Leash training

Hello everybody. I've just joined, and I've been browsing some. This seems to be a nice place for a cat's companion to get advice.

OK. Last Wednesday I adopted a senior female tortoiseshell. I chose her because she looked depressed. However, I want to keep her as an indoor cat but perhaps take her for short walks.

First question is, what problems am I likely to run into with the leash training. The shelter gave me a collar and I've bought a cheap leash. If she takes well to the leash I shall buy a harness. I live in a house with a balcony that she can't get off, and a sundeck, which she can. I'm thinking that I'll start out on the deck, then move down to the yard which has a no longer used driveway.

Second question is, how far is a short walk for an active (She's just been haring around from room to room. It's dusk and I do believe this is hunting time.) ten and a half year old cat.

Thanks in advance for any help available.

JusJim

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Leash training

Although some people are able to train their cats to walk on a leash, other cats won't have any part in it.

The experience I've had with cats on leashes is that they will tolerate the harness and love running around the yard with a REALLY long (say 5-10m) leash attached but they won't walk along side me on the street etc. If I try to get one of my cats to follow me, he plants himself firmly on the ground but when given a long leash, he LOVES exploring in the yard.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the reply. I tried the collar and leash today, and it was just as you suggested. Four paws, claws out, digging into the carpet. (I hope to post a short tale about a recalcitrant kitten being stubborn.) Still, wanting to keep Zenobi happy I took her into the yard. Oops! Big mistake. Not only did she do the expected and eat grass (no problem on my part) she wouldn't come in and I had to carry her in and shut the door. I've now been downgraded at least one notch on the friendship scale. Still, that independant nature is one of the things I love about cats.

JusJim

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 AM
Cool Cat

I always have to pick my kitties up and bring them inside too..

I'd be very careful with taking her out with just a collar, I believe they're much easier ti slip out of than a harness.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Im also embarking on leash training at the moment. Ive got a little jacket style harness and am just letting kitty get used to it by popping it on her for a time every day in our home.

I have the same problem, whenever Harrie gets out into our communal stairwell I also have to carry her back in, she wouldnt come back on her own. Shes too busy exploring

Adding to your question She seems pretty inhibited when wearing the harness, not wanting to jump around as much. Is this likely to improve as she wears it more?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

Quote:
Still, that independant nature is one of the things I love about cats.
You got that right!! Hah, good luck with leash training the cat... it's usually very difficult, if not down right impossible to leash train an adult cat who is already set in their ways. Kittens are much easier, but still can be difficult!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page