Older cat suddenly started having litter box problems, help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Older cat suddenly started having litter box problems, help?

I have two kitties, one a 3 year old formerly feral cat, and another a 12 year old half-balinese half-domestic shorthair.

Past 4 months we've been finding little piles of poop all over the apartment and had no idea who was the culprit. Finally caught the older cat doing it today: She was using the litter box, and when she was done, she shot away like an arrow - she's always done that, nothing unusual there... Except this time I saw her continuing to poop as she ran past, leaving a trail of poop behind her. Eeew.

My two cats have shared the same litterbox with no problem for over a year now; we did change the litterbox to a top entry kind 6 months ago, but they used it for 2 months with no issues. We clean the litterbox regularly but it happens whether the litter has just been changed, whether it's due for changing.. on occasion we've left the cats alone for the weekend on trips and they are fine those times.. The problem is it's not consistent behaviour so I don't know what could be triggering it.

Could it be health problems?? We do checkups every year and her shots are updated, she's on a diet for being overweight, but she's not that much overweight. We're going to schedule another vet appointment for her probably next week to check, but maybe this is behavioural. Any ideas? =((

Edit: Incidentally, this cat victory poop thread http://ask.metafilter.com/99371/Has-...-lost-her-mind is hilarious..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Tom Cat

Re: Older cat suddenly started having litter box problems, help?

IF i'm understanding, there is only one litter box for both?

I think that perhaps the cat needs some privacy as odd as that may sound. A second box in another location may help.

Also it could relate to being overweight--or it could be due to incontinence d/t older age. I'd speak with the vet about this.

Leslie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Re: Older cat suddenly started having litter box problems, help?

It's so unpredictable it's pretty bizarre to us... Maybe another litter box will help, we've never had any problems with them sharing before though! I thought they worked out their dominance issues already.. =(

Will make an appointment with the vet for her, and also putting her on weight control food. Kind of a pain with two cats to have different food for both but oh wells!!

Thanks for the advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page