Cat has been pooping on floor for 3 years - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Cat has been pooping on floor for 3 years

My 5 year old Himalayan has been pooping on my floors for 3 years. I have tried many different approaches such as:
1. try different litter, box, location (even Cat Attract hasn't worked)
2. Trip to Vet. Result: feed pumpkin (no change), cleaned glands (no change), different food.
3. Try putting her in litter box every few hours
4. Played with her more, more attention
5. Raised my voice, made her smell it and put her in box
Her box is in the laundry room. I can't keep her locked up in there because there are not any windows or place to sleep. It leads out to the garage..our main entrance.
We have one other cat who has no problem with litter box.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Re: Cat has been pooping on floor for 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatheChow
My 5 year old Himalayan has been pooping on my floors for 3 years. I have tried many different approaches such as:
1. try different litter, box, location (even Cat Attract hasn't worked)
2. Trip to Vet. Result: feed pumpkin (no change), cleaned glands (no change), different food.
3. Try putting her in litter box every few hours
4. Played with her more, more attention
5. Raised my voice, made her smell it and put her in box
Her box is in the laundry room. I can't keep her locked up in there because there are not any windows or place to sleep. It leads out to the garage..our main entrance.
We have one other cat who has no problem with litter box.
Any suggestions?
Wow. Hmm.. I don't know, I know you said you already tried it, but I'd get another litterbox and MOVE IT to where she is going.
If she is pooping in one room in particular, move the litter box to that room.

You didn't mention how many litterboxes you have total, but I've read that you should have 1 for each cat, at a minimum.

Now, does she do it all the time (poo on the floor), or just occasionally? And, does she pee in the litter box?

3 years is a long time to put up with something like that!!!

Some cats are extremely anal (excuse the pun, haha!) about the cleanliness of their litterboxes. They won't go poo in it if it's been pee'd in. Are you scooping out & changing litter often? Try scooping out as soon as she pees and see if that changes anything.

Do the cats get along? Did something change three years ago (like introducing a new cat, family member, etc) that might have upset the cat or made this cat want to mark its territory? Try separating the cats and see if that works.

Be sure to extra-clean the floors, too -- cat's sense of smell is amazing and can smell stuff that we can't, and if she keeps smelling poo on the floor she might think that's where she needs to go and keep doing it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit our home and my cats had to swim for their lives. She ended up on top of the kitchen cupboards for a week until a friend rescued her and took her home with her(We were unable to get back to our home for 2 weeks). She was kept outside under a milk crate (because my friend had an inside dog) until we could find her a place to stay. We didn't have a home ourselves and finally found someone who had a spare bedroom, but they had 2 Boston terriers who scared her. Then we were all taken in by another friend who had no animals. We stayed there a year until we rebuilt our home. We moved back in to our home and that's when it all started. Every once in a while a little nugget here or there, but it has progressed to major doo-doo piles now. We have hard wood floors so it's not a clean up problem, but she poops in every room. We love her, but I'm at the end of my rope now. She has her own super clean box that has been moved all over the house with no change in her behavior. I wonder if she is mentally unstable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
I wonder if she is mentally unstable.
Wow! After an experience like that, I couldn't blame her if she was. I think *I* would have a difficult time hanging onto my own sanity if that happened to me.

One thing stood out for me, was that it seems you keep her litterbox in a high-traffic area. (main entrance) Many cats do not like being disturbed when they "go" because eliminating makes them vulnerable. ...but you've said you *have* moved her litterbox around and *too* the areas she was poo-ing.

Where are the places she is poo-ing?
Are they in the open? Does she need to be able to SEE any 'danger' approaching while she is eliminating?
Are they in hidden areas? Does she need to be hidden from 'perceived' danger while she is eliminating?

Can you give her two litterboxes? One with sand for the pee, and maybe one empty one for poo? Or try just a flat layer of newspaper? Or a small scrap of towel? (I had to do that for one of my cats, but it was because he couldn't stand and keep his balance in the shifting sand/litter) Toss one nugget of poo in there, and show it to her, so she may get the idea *that* box is for poo?
I suppose I would also consider a short period of confining her to one room that has a window, sleeping area, food/water and two litterboxes, one with sand and one flat (either empty or with the flat layer of newspaper or towel) and see if she will begin to use it. Visit her often and/or bring her out into the rest of the house for supervised play sessions, but when no one can keep an eye on her..."crate" her in her small room. I like bathrooms, because they are easy to clean and won't give her too many options for elimination.
I wish we had more to offer, best of luck,
heidi

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Tom Cat

Yeah I think the think that stands out is that it seems that although you've moved the litter box you havent offered her more than one. I'd give her one in every room if it would help at this point.

Although I am not pro medication--is it possible to speak to a vet about some type of anxiety medication perhaps---I think that perhaps the house is just giving her bad vibes maybe. If I went through that there it would give me bad vibes.

Leslie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, both, for your insights. I will try a box in every room, and a different box content. My cat poops out in the open, so she's not afraid...but she runs away from me as I come upon her pile. So she knows she is not supposed to be pooping there. But, I am hopeful your suggestions work!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Thank you, both, for your insights. I will try a box in every room, and a different box content. My cat poops out in the open, so she's not afraid...but she runs away from me as I come upon her pile. So she knows she is not supposed to be pooping there. But, I am hopeful your suggestions work!
Sometimes pooping out in the open is a sign of fear, people like to put litter boxes in the corner of the room and cats don't like to feel cornered. Try putting one in a more open area where the cat feels like it has an escape route like the middle of a wall rather then the corner.

Also the rule I follow is one box per cat +1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I never really thought about the "corner" issue..thank you. Hopefully the suggestions will work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page