Litter tray problems with new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Litter tray problems with new cat

Hi all, first time to site so really hoping someone can give me some help

I had a cat here for quite some time and then bought a new one to keep her company, but it didn't quite work out like that. My first cat, Phoebe, absolutely hates the new one, Freda. I'm now having to feed them in separate areas, and whenever they go near each other they spit and then run off.

The main problem I'm having is that 3 months in (that's how long I've had Freda for) she has started to do her number 2s on the floor around the litter tray, she will pee in the litter tray but anything else she'll only do on the floor. I bought some "Get Off" spray and sprayed that around the litter tray which kind of worked,........but then she just pooped further away from the litter tray.

She only just started doing this and I'm not sure why, and also how to stop it......does anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks
Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Jr. Cat

Re: Litter tray problems with new cat

Welcome Catherine! I'm new too

How many litter boxes do you have? Just the one? It's possible that your cat is unhappy with the idea of having to share her "bathroom." I think the general rule of thumb is that you need one litter box per cat, and if space permits, one extra box.

Sometimes it's a hygiene thing, where cats just get fussy about sharing bathrooms and want their own space. But sometimes cats who don't get along well will "ambush" one another in the litter box, making it unpleasant/nerve-wracking for the ambushed cat to use the box correctly for fear of being trapped.

I adopted a second cat just this weekend, so I'm no expert on these introductions. But even when I only had one cat, I had 2 large, roomy litter boxes set up as a response to some inappropriate urination habits he had developed. I think having two boxes helped him. We'll see if I can get away with having 2 boxes when the kitties are integrated, or whether I have to maintain a third one Anyway, good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: Litter tray problems with new cat

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes I have 2 litter boxes in completely separate parts of the house, one was in the spare room (that was phoebes) and one was in the hallway (Fredas) which was working fine until Freda started to poop in the living room, so I moved her litter tray into the living room where she was going and she hasn't pooped in it since, so I have no idea what to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page