Aggressive Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Aggressive Cat

We got a cat from Cats Protection league 3 months ago. We were told that she was there because her owners had been evicted. It stated that she was 2 years old, had been neuteured and liked to go outdoors.

When we first got her she settled in very quickly. She liked to play and sometimes would scratch us or pounce on our forearms and bite. We would blow in her face which normally calmed her down.

A few weeks after we got her she was on heat and therefore had not be neuteured. We got her neuteured but obviously couldnt let her out because of that.

Over the past couple of weeks she has become very aggressive at nightfall. She has attacked my left leg with her claws and mouth twice and last night she went mental at my other half, hissing at him and trying to pounce at him. She looked very scary and we have never seen her act this way. We are not sure what caused this behaviour but we were very frightened of her (despite that fact that she is tiny and weighs less than 2kg) and shut her out of the lounge area for an hour so that she could calm down. She didnt really calm down but didnt try to attack like that again.

We are now at our wits end. We are seriously considering taking her back as we cannot live in fear in our own home. This would be hard, as I, particularly, have fallen in love with her. Tonight we are going to let her out for the first time and hope that she takes some of her aggression out on something else. The majority of the time she is very cute but doesnt like to be petted or handled too much and certainly isn't a lap cat.

Does any body have any advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Cat

Re: Aggressive Cat

She sounds very much like one of my parents' cats. Age mellowed him but it's taken about seven years, and he's still unpredictable.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Cool Cat

Perhaps she just wants to go hunt at nightfall. Perhaps she just wants to be an outdoor cat. (I've had two that came around to be fed. One enjoyed being petted, the other would claw at me any time I got close.) My feeling is that when a cat acts up, that cat is being prevented from doing something. Maybe she resents having been neutered, or at least associates you with operating pain. I wonder how much post-op pain she gets. Try going to one of the 'cat whispering sites to see if they have any tips you could use. One that I've found useful is the part closing eyes when looking at the cat. This has a calming effect.

I've had Zenobi (she's at least ten and a half) four weeks today. Two days after I got her she suddenly jumped around as I stroked her and bit my hand and she appeared to be in a very aggressive mood. I spoke to her softly and put the other hand down for her to sniff at, and we were OK. Last Saturday she bit my thumb. I suspect that this was my fault as I held a hand out to her without looking. I suspect she mistook my thumb for a new cat toy as it was wiggling. Everytime I think of that I laugh. Yesterday as I took her collar off, which I always do if she's in the house, she clawed at me. Once again I think she thought I wanted to play. She has a great deal of fear and anxiety that erupts suddenly; I think that she might have been terrorized (for want of a better word) in some way some time. Patience, love and understanding are the only things that I know of to help her. I never get angry at her as I feel this is counter-productive.

I hope you can find a way to get your cat to settle down.

JusJim

PS. I've heard of the evicted/homless owner several times. Maybe, maybe not. For some reason I feel this might be a ploy to get symapthy for the animal.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

I would at least give her a fighting chance (no pun intended!).
She probably has a lot of pinned up energy from having to stay inside, since she's used to going outside.
Her biting could be a result of her past owner's ways of playing with her.
She probably thinks it is acceptable behavior since she hasn't learned any different.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Cat Addict

Play tgerapy with a toy other than your hand could help get the energy out.

I don't know about letting her outside. I converted Fay to an indoor cat after she had a short adventure of being an outdoor cat. My vet told me to keep her in for 1 month and she'd forget about the outside, she did. She also said while handling her 'she has some attitude but that comes from being outdoors for a while' so letting her go out may increase her attitude.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page