Starting to lose my mind....cat pee problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Starting to lose my mind....cat pee problem

This is my first post but I have been reading other posts here and you guys have a great site. I have two male cats which I rescued from a shelter about five years ago. They are both adults but I do think Bob is about two or three years older. The other one Harley was a stray so it is hard to say how old he is. Both are fixed and they get along well with each other. I have never had a problem with them peeing before until now. Since I have had them I have moved to four different places without issue and they did spend a year with a friend of mine while I was overseas again without issue. When I started to do this last move is when I started having problems. I had both places for thirty days and they were across the street from each other so I did take my time moving. ( I hate moving and I am horrible about packing things so this was the least stressful move for me. ). I went on a trip for work which was just a weekend and this is also not uncommon and has never been an issue. When I got home (to the old apartment still) I set my bag on the ground and went to the bathroom and when I came out the bag was soaked!! Then nothing till about a week after living in the new place (i never slept at the new place without having the cats moved) the same scenario happened, only this was a different bag. about four days later one of them peed on my friends jacket that was on the coffee table but had been in the apartment for close to three weeks. After that I went to my pet store and spoke with the owner who I trust to be very knowledgable. I used the enzyme cleaners and bought the feliway spray and used it as directed. No issues for about a week and then was gone for a weekend again and when I got back everything was fine until in the middle of the night i woke up to one of the cats clawing my brand new comforter because one of the two of them peed on it with me in it. I got and went to the bathroom and came back and I am pretty sure the other one peed on it because there was a brand new stain. There was also other fresh pee spots from that night in some random spots in the bedroom. Since then I do not allow them in the bedroom and there wasn't any other issues until last night when one of them peed on the couch (close to two weeks from the last incident). Throughout this whole period I have personally seen both of them pee in the box and I have been on overnight trips without issue. Also I have been sleeping on the couch since they peed on the bed as I have been cleaning the crap out of everything. The vet said it is not a UTI which I already guessed given the volume of urine (whenever they do it, it looks like someone dumped a pint out). I am at a loss of what to do . I don't want to get rid of them but as a student I can't afford to replace the things they ruin. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Starting to lose my mind....cat pee problem

Hmm, that is frustrating. When my cat had bladder stones she peed around the apt. After the stones were gone she continued to occasionally pee outside her box thinking those spots were "ok to pee zones"!

I bought another litter box and put it where she would go and she ended up going in the 2nd litter box. I also blocked off other areas or moved bigger furniture over some areas. I picked up some clear vinyl carpet runner to put over some areas she peed on but she still peed there, at least it was easier to clean up.

How many litter boxes do you have? For 2 cats I think 3 is recommended. Have you changed the litter maybe? If not maybe you could try a litter change. Also, how often do you clean their box(es)? Some cats might be a bit finicky about that.

Other than those thoughts, I wouldn't know what to say. Maybe one or both get a little separation anxiety?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

My only thought is to share what happened with us when our cat Rookie (RIP) started peeing on soft surfaces all over the house. I feel your pain.

After 3 months of this, I finally landed on something that worked. I thought -- okay Missy, if what you're trying to tell us is that you want to pee on soft surfaces, I'll give you a soft surface to pee on. I put a second litterbox next to the regular one, but put only a liner and a couple sections of folded newspaper in it. I kid you not, within half an hour she was peeing on the newspaper, and in the following year we only had 1 or 2 cases of her peeing elsewhere. It might be worth a shot!

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Premier Cat

Did your vet run urine samples? If not, that would be the first thing I'd do. Just because they are peeing doesn't mean someone doesn't have a UTI and no blockage. It can still be uncomfortable for them and they'll start peeing outside the box.
If you've completely ruled that out. I would try enclosing them in one room (like a bathroom) for a while, with their boxes (extra, super-duper clean!) and food (as far from the boxes as possible). See how they do for a few days. If there aren't any accidents, let them have more space. Basically, retrain them.
In the meantime, don't leave anything lying around for them to pee on!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page