Very Agressive Cat, please help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Very Agressive Cat, please help

So my girlfriend and I just moved in together. She has 1 female cat, very feral, and I have 2 male cats, twin brothers. We read a lot of information, most importantly Pam Johnson-Bennett's "Cat vs. Cat" about the proper way to introduce the cats in the neutral territory, bought a ton of feliway, had 2 "sanctuary" rooms, everything exactly according to procedure. The cats were starting to get along, but now her female cat is getting more and more agressive, every time she sees one of the boys she hisses and chases them, swatting with claws out the whole way. She blocks off the entrances to rooms, the doorway to the outside, and their food. She even tries to fight them while they are using the litterboxes (we have 3 for 3 cats). I have tried interactive, distracting play and offering treats as rewards for being in the same space and getting along, but it seems like it gets worse every day. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Very Agressive Cat, please help

Are they all spayed/neutered?
Do you move into a new place together or her place?

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

yes, they are all fixed, and we both moved into a new place together. The new place was, at the time we moved in clean of cat scents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Jr. Cat

How feral is the female? Can she be allowed to go out sometimes, to give the males a break? This sounds like you need to ask your vet what to do. I think for now you should have them take turns being out and about the house while they adjust to smells. Is she wild enough that you two cant handle her much? Or has she been tamed for a bit now? You wont like this, but you could get a huge dog crate and have her in it when you have all of them in the same room together, so they can safetly adjust to each other. and switch around so they can each take turns being out and being in the crate. It could take some time, but it might help.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

she's very feral. our solutions so far have been to add a 4th litterbox (we had 3) and to keep the aggressive, feral cat outside all day and and let the others in and out as they choose. They all come inside at night, but whenever we leave the house we make the agressive cat go outside. That seems to be working a little bit, we just have to choose to ignore the occasional cries from outside.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Jr. Cat

That is probably your best bet. You could let the female in once in a while when all are home and inside just a few minutes at a time now and then and maybe a year from now things will be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page