cat won't let me sleep - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

cat won't let me sleep

I've had a new kitten that I've had since Monday. For the first few days I had him, I slept on the couch in my room because I didn't want him to feel lonely at night during his first few nights here, since I have a loft bed that is inaccessible to him.

My problem is that now he has gotten used to me sleeping on the couch. I tried to sleep on my bed last night, and all he would do is cry and cry. I ignored it for about 15 minutes, hoping that he would just realize that the crying was getting him nowhere and just stop. He didn't, so I went down to the couch and sat for a while. This got him to fall asleep on my lap, and he allowed me to put him on his blanket that's on the couch. When I went back up in my bed, he was ok with it for about 5 minutes and then realized I wasn't down there and started crying again.

So I decided "fine you win," and went back down to sleep on the couch. He calmed down immediately. I woke up about an hour later and snuck back up to my bed. He saw me do it, and meowed for a minute, but then decided he was too tired and just fell asleep.

Is this normal? He's a pretty vocal cat in general (he just walks around my room meowing randomly when he's awake and I'm not petting him or playing with him). I think it's just him being a kitten....he meows sometimes when I leave the room (I'm keeping him in my room for a week or two to quarantine him from our resident cat, since he has a respiratory infection that he needs to get over), but he usually stops after a minute.

Any replies would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Premier Cat

Re: cat won't let me sleep

One of my guys, Smeag will whine for a good 30 mins to an hour when I shut them out at night. If I don't shut them out I get rodent "pressies" and woken up at stupid O' Clock. Some nights she knows she isn't going to win and gives up quickly, other times she is very persistent. Best advice I can give you is ignore it. Maybe try moving the evening feed until you go to bed, or some nice food before you go to bed, so it takes your kittys mind off you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I don't mind him sleeping in my bed with me, I am just afraid that he's going to try to jump down in the middle of the night and hurt himself.

I think my solution for now is going to be just sleep on my couch for a little while longer. On my upcoming day off I'll try to rig up my furniture so that he can hop in and out of bed safely with me if he wants to, and see if that helps (I'm sure it will).

Would it be a good idea to do some crazy play for about a half hour before bedtime to tire him out? I just played with him for a good 20 minutes, and right now he seems to be grooming himself and calming down a little bit. We let him roam around the house earlier, so he was all worked up from that and seemed to not want to really settle down.

Thank you for your suggestions. With my old cat, I would just ignore him (he was very vocal, also). Sometimes he would be persistent, and sometimes not (much like yours). I guess I've just gotten used to my current cat Ziggy, who doesn't make a sound half the time. When she was a kitten, she terrorized by climbing the curtains and attacking my sister's feet and face all night long.

Oh, kitties. I do love this cat, that's for sure...or else I wouldn't be so anxious about him all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

A good tiring playtime right before bed, AND a meal, sounds like a good idea. My twins get some playtime and their last meal of the day right at bedtime.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 AM

Electromagnetic Radiation

Try shut out the power of the room the cat uses to be at night. It works with my cat. For instance, if you have a magnetic bed or something in the principle of faraday-cage (that catches the electromagnetic radiation), the cat feels well in it. But we simply shut off the power for our room, and the cat sleeps during the night (we too )
We also give a rich dinner before we go to sleep, so the cant wont wake us up wanting to eat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Kitten

Chucky likes to push down on my water bottle....it is like my alarm every AM....except he does it around 5am!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page