Chirpling? 3rd-Degree Purrns? What is it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Chirpling? 3rd-Degree Purrns? What is it?

Just wondering if there is a technical term for this behavior:

It's a heightened level of purring that includes almost a loud crooning, fully in time with the cat's breathing or purring; usually coinciding with kneading of paws. Completely different from the chattering that cats sometimes exhibit when stalking prey. It only happens when the cat is in an extreme state of euphoria, verging on ecstasy.

My Sadie does it, albeit rarely, when she crawls under my covers at night and lies down, furiously kneading my side. She does it for a few minutes and then leaves.

My new adoptee Tweetie does it just about every day. When I come home from work, I'll talk to him and he gets all excited and happy. I'll pick him up and cradle him, at which point his purr goes into overdrive, he starts making loud crooning sounds while kneading his paws and licking my face from top to bottom.

It's like a "super-purr" or a purr on steroids (purroids?).

Is there a term for it? It's absolutely endearing, yet not every cat does it. Chubs and Clarice do not do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Cat

Re: Chirpling? 3rd-Degree Purrns? What is it?

yes, your cats are on Purroids. LOL, that is the scientific term. Maybe Sadie has occasional recreational use, but Teetie is a harcored purroids addict!

My kitten Mr Higgens is on Purroids as well.....only he includes suckling/nursing behaviours into the whole deal. im mean just look at my avatar, the little sweety cuddles with a mini teddybear when im not paying attention to him!!!

My other kitten Aliie, use to have purroids induced episodes occasionaly, but sadly no more. I think its just a temerpment thing. My Mr Higgins is just a super effectionate little booger, sometimes he will be in a dead sleep, and i will run my hand down his side ONE TIME, and suddenyl he jumps up going "PPPRROW PRRRROW PRRRROW PRRRRROW mmmRRRRRROW MRRRRRRROW" PURRoids for sure. this happens in the middle of the night some times, when i wake up with him laying next to me, and pet him once, then he just goes CRAZY and wont let me go back to sleep.....absolutley adorable, and sometimes annoying when im trying to sleep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Chirpling? 3rd-Degree Purrns? What is it?

Is your kitty "trilling"? ...or is it more of a 'breath-y' purr? Our Toby would trill, and BooBoo does the breath-y purr. I think it is an individual thing, some cats do and some don't, or can't.
h =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page