New Kittens! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

New Kittens!

Hi, I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some pointers about my new kittens

I have a boy and girl both seven weeks and have a couple of questions regarding toileting.

I only collected them last night so obviously the first night of being separated from their mother and the rest of the litter plus moving into a new home is a huge upheaval for them.

This morning the Ben (boy) urinated on my bed, and again this evening - he seems to use the litter tray fine unless he is on my bed! I've restricted them to my bedroom at the moment after hours of scouring the internet on advice of how to introduce them to a new home, children and dogs; but obviously I'd rather try to not let him toileting on my bed become a habit.

Also - they are feeding fine on kitten wet food but have not pooped since they got here; is this normal? Apparently the litter had all been pooping fine whilst with their mother.

Any help would be gratefully received to make the transition into their new home as easy as possible for them.

Thanks in advance, jax-cats xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Cool Cat

Re: New Kittens!

They were sent home awfully early, I would never send a kitten home before 10 weeks, preferably 12 weeks if I were a breeder. Shelters obviously can't have kittens that long without fosters so I expect 8 weeks from them, but never 7. They may just not have had a good litter box habit yet.

Kittens like to potty on absorbent things so i might move the "quarantine" to the bathroom and take up any bathroom rugs. this way the litter box will be the most absorbent thing in the room. Another thing to remember is that a toilet is the toilet because it smells like the toilet. If they have peed on the bed a few times it needs SERIOUS cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner (it must be enzymatic, even things marketed as pet cleaners are useless on pee unless it contains enzymes), soak the area very well. It would help if you first cleaned it with water to flush out as much of the urine as possible and then used the enzymatic cleaner to rid the mattress of the leftovers that you can't smell but your cat can. The hardest thing to do when it comes to mattresses is drying it, I would stand the mattress up and aim a fan at the spot, I might end up using a hair dryer as well. You need to make sure it is clean before you make the bed up or else it's probably mold or something.

Also, are you using the same litter that was being used where the cat came from? Some cats are picky or just don't like new things. So watch when he uses the box to see if he appears to get a lot of litter stuck in his toes or refuses to dig before and after going potty.

the bed is probably just attractive so even when you let him out of the bathroom again I'd shut bedroom doors for a while unless he is supervised by someone. Make sure he doesn't dig on the bed or pace and circle or show any signs that he wants to go. If he starts that scoop him up and bring him to the litter box. Keeping the bed made (if you don't) might also discourage this, if he is unable to dig up blankets and cover his waste with the blankets he might not go there. If you want just keep him off the bed always. But it is usually just a matter of habit, once he's used the litter box for a few weeks never fail he should be good. Also make sure he knows where the box is located and maybe get an extra one for another location. If it continues and he hasn't been to the vet yet I'd bring him in, I suppose he should be having a check up soon anyways since you just brought him home.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Premier Cat

When I've fostered litters of kittens I've noticed my bedding would get "blessed" now and again. It is because the kittens are BABIES and just like human toddlers, they don't want to interrupt whatever they are doing to go to the bathroom, so they ignore the urges until they cannot ignore it any longer and the urge is immediate, so they squat-and-go then rejoin the fun. This behavior usually stopped by the time they reached 3-4mo old.

As for intro-ing the rest of the house and household, I would take it slow. I think the babies should be at least 10-12wks before attempting to let them explore the rest of the house, in supervised stages, always aware of them and helping them back to their "safe room" if they get nervous or frightened. If the children and dog(s) are calm and quiet, they can be introduced to the kittens in the safe-room bedroom, allowing a place for the kittens to retreat to and be LEFT ALONE if they run off because they are scared. It may take some time before the kittens will feel comfortable, though toys and food-treats can go a long ways in making them enjoy the experience of meeting the kids and other pets.
Good luck!
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

hi,

thank you so much for your replies

my husband thinks they were too young to be rehomed. we got them privately and i know it was the first time the lady had let her cat have a litter, they are still wobbly sometimes when they walk and they have only just started jumping but they do seem quite happy which is a relief. we've had no further 'accidents' on the bed - i've taken the duvet off at the moment to take it to the launderette as its too big to get in our washing machine lol - i managed to whip it off before anything had soaked onto the mattress which as you can imagine would have been great fun to try and dry!

my children have been really good, they have been told they are not allowed in the room without asking first and they've been told they have to sit and watch the kittens for a while before approaching them; then they are not to keep picking them up - i've been surprised actually that they haven't pushed for more but we did sit them down and explain that if they want the kittens to come to them as they get older they have to give them some space without frightening them.

the dogs have been a different matter. we have put a stair gate up in our living room door and have been letting the kittens come down and have a run around down here so they can get used to it, obviously with the dogs the other side of the gate. when the kittens have had enough and are getting ready to settle down again we put them in the cat carrier and let the dogs come in to sniff around the room and the box before we take the kittens back upstairs. the dogs haven't barked at them at all but one did try to bite the box. i think its going to be a long process - but i'm not in any rush. obviously the kittens safety is paramount and at the moment they are not fast enough to outrun the dogs. we thought that when they are old enough to have the freedom to roam around we may leave the stair gate at the bottom of the stairs so if they need to run from the dogs they can jump over it.

it is certainly going to be an experience for us!

by the way, their names are billie and ben

thanks for your help x
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Because of hairballs, my comforter was taken off the bed after bringing home my first kitty (Cinderella) and has been in storage for 3 years. Too big for my washer and dryer, and not worth the expense and hassle of taking it somewhere. I visit it once in a while, say hello, we hug. We'll be united one day.

Your kids sound like they're being GREAT! The dogs? It'll work out.

I know you're new so maybe you're not aware of the rules here. I mean, seriously......

NO PICTURES????? Itty bitty kitties and no pictures?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

sorry lol

Ben

Billie

xx
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Oh my!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page