A cat and her ducks - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

A cat and her ducks

This involves Syble's sister Nub Nub.

Both have been fixed by the way.

Anyway Nub Nub, since she has been fixed (maybe 3 months now?) Has been going around the house, usually 3 times a day, morning, noon and night to simplify things. Meowing as though she were in heat. Ok maybe not that badly, but very much like it.

Every time we inspect to see whats up, is she stuck? lonely? locked in a room? Nope, she is carrying around one of two of her ducks. They are little rubber toys, one is a football duck and the other is a referee duck.

and we have to say this just perplexes us. she has never littered, never been around a litter. She has definatly been fixed. so why does she do this?

we have tried hiding her ducks but she always finds them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Premier Cat

Re: A cat and her ducks

It sounds like false pregnancy behavior and I recently read of a cat who was spayed and *still* came into season. Turns out the original spay left behind some viable reproductive tissue that was able to produce hormones that govern the estrus cycle. That tissue needed to be removed because cycling (even though she no longer had fully functioning ovaries, fallopian tubes or a uterus) would still leave her vulnerable to the cancers that could develop, besides the cycles of frustration she'd feel from being ruled by her hormones.
I understand the procedure is much more invasive because the vet needs to perform the surgery when the cat is in full heat and has to search for the engorged reproductive tissue in the areas of the original spay's organ removal sites.
My Shasta never did the calling, but she would occasionally do the 'position' of butt-in-the-air and back feet sort of shifting/kneading and she would carry around a small stufffed kitten. This only happened sporadically so we never had to bring her in to have it addressed. I would maybe speak with your vet about this, but I'd wait and see if she stops this cycling behavior through the fall/winter and see if she resumes it in the spring. I don't know if there is a blood test a vet could perform that would tell them hormone level differences to determine if reproductive tissue was left behind.
Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.
heidi =^..^=

PS... more pics of Syble?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat

she doesn't posture at all, and usually (from spying on her) once she is done meowing she will drop said duck and wack it around the floor before somehow getting under a book case and doing the nija eyes at us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

I know it must be annoying to you, but it also sounds cute.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitari
she doesn't posture at all, and usually (from spying on her) once she is done meowing she will drop said duck and wack it around the floor before somehow getting under a book case and doing the ninja eyes at us.
That sounds like what Squirrely-Jo will do:
S-Jo *cries* when she carries a plastic milk-ring around the house. She just cries and cries, mournfully, as if no one loves her anymore. As SOON as I poke my head around the door or speak to her, she drops the milk-ring and her meow changes to one of a happy greeting as she runs to me for attention.
Weirdo. See what a personable cat she is Marie, and how I get such great stories about her antics? She is my crazy-one and I luff her.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Cool Cat

She doesn't want you to play with her? Meeka 'talks', not meowing but other funny noises when she has a toy in her mouth and wants someone to throw it for a game of fetch with her!

Bec

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Premier Cat

I think it's just a some cat thing and has nothing to do with her being female.
My fixed male, Sundance would do that. He used to put all their toys away an a particular spot. He'd even move them depending on the weather! They were his babies! It was hysterical to watch. When he needed to do the weather change move he would start with his favorite toy, a 6" long stuffed sock. (He had had a 12" stuffed carrot most of his life that he carried everywhere with him. When he was only about 4" long himself, it was a pretty funny sight! He'd drag it, straddled between his front legs. But, after many, many repairs, it finally fell apart and was replaced by the sock.) Anyway, he'd walk around the house with it in his mouth doing that cat cry, stop at one spot, nope, not good enough, go to the next, etc. until he found the perfect place. Then he'd march back and forth with each toy until they were all moved.
It was great, all the toys were always put away when I woke up each morning! Since he's been gone (he passed away 5 years ago) the place is a shambles! I can't get these guys to clean up after themselves!

Victoria
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

well, if she sees us watching her she will drop it and talk to us then either A: run up to us or B: run and managed to get under the book case and do ninja eyes waiting for us to walk by so she can "get us"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Cool Cat

Fergie does the same thing with her cows, and she gives muffled meows as she carries them around the house. I feel like it's part mothering instinct, and part interior design kitty, because she rearranges every toy she can carry every night after we go to bed.

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM

hazel does this too! and it didnt start until we moved in with my parents! she has a beanie baby kitten and carries it around making the loudest meow ever! if people are visiting they ask, is that cat ok up there?? i think she is looking for the other kittens maybe. or just happy to have her baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page