goodbyes can be so difficult - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

goodbyes can be so difficult

I'm hoping that somebody here can throw me a bit of help on this one. I've got a pug and cat (both female). They have been brought up together from 3 months old(they're now both about 10 months). The cat is house bound as where we live there is a dog outside who I have personally witnessed kill 2 cats that strayed into his yard.

My issue is this. Everytime I take the dog out the cat immediately starts to meow (that really annoying one) until we get back. My partner and I have tried everything that we can think of to get her to stop (distraction, squirting with a water pistol, stroking) but with no success. This is driving us insane as you can imagine. She also (at every given opportunity) tries to feed from the dogs nipple (something which the dog seems to just let her do). Is this linked to the problem and. if so how do we stop the two?

Here's hoping that someone can shed a little light and impart a lot of helpful knowledge.

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Re: goodbyes can be so difficult

Cheers for the overwhelming number of responses.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, don't know why but I didn't see this post until just now! I'm sure others will jump in soon too.
Well, that said, I'm not really sure what the solution is to the crying. Has she always done it or is it a new thing? Are they fixed? Maybe that would help a bit. Maybe?
I think what I would do is try some desensitizing work. Put the dog's leash on, take her just outside the door and bring her right back in the house (poor dog!). Do that several times. If the cat doesn't react, then take the dog a few yards away from the house and back. Just keep repeating this until kitty realizes her friend is coming right back and stops freaking out. I know this works with separation anxiety when owners leave, why not with a dog? It could take awhile though so be patient.
The only other solution I can think of is litter training your dog so she doesn't need to go out.
As for the suckling, it's nothing to worry about. As long as your dog doesn't mind, it's not causing any irritation and it makes your kitty happy, it's fine.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't see this before, either. But I have to say, I almost didn't click on it because I thought it was about putting a cat to sleep and I didn't want to cry.

That said, I really can't offer any suggestions for behavior problems because all four of my cats are perfect. And if you believe that!

I think Victoria's advice is great, and hopefully more people will chime in tomorrow (it's kind of late here).

Good luck! Any pictures? We LOVE pictures here.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

A flood of answers!!!! What's going on?? Thanks for the responses. Interesting about the seperation training. Never thought about transfering it to the cat like that. One pause for thought though is it may solve the cat issue but I don't really want to have to move onto a sulking pug as a result! She's a sad enough face as it is.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
She's a sad enough face as it is.

When I left to go on a short overnight trip, I tossed some new little toys into the livingroom as I left and they pounced on them. Not sure if this would help you or not. Heck, I'm not even sure how long they played with them. They seem to have the attention span of lint sometimes. My cats also seem calmer when the t.v. is on. Not sure if it's the "white noise" effect or what.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Premier Cat

I've got it!
Get another pug, just like the one you have, and take them on seperate walks. Maybe it'll trick kitty into thinking her friend hasn't gone out.

Victoria
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hmmm I think I'd rather stick with the meowing than do that!!! I can't imagine anything worse than the perpertual tail chasing senario that would result. And don't get me started on the snoring situation! lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Premier Cat

Victoria
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Premier Cat

Shhhh! ...slides quietly through the door and into the room... SLAM!
Oh, hai!

I too, originally avoided this thread because I thought it was about euth. Sorry.
I agree the suckling isn't a problem, just a result of the kitten using the pup as sort of a woobie-blanket for comfort. (Anyone see the 1983 movie, Mr. Mom?)
The kitty crying when her friend leaves...well, other than doing the short trips in/out with the Pug and helping kitty to see the dog *will* return, unless you can distract the cat with food, I think you'd have to let her scream-it-out.

OR

How about getting a sturdy "pet stroller" and safely bringing the kitty WITH you? Either the kitty will enjoy it or hate it. Either way, I think it could solve your problem; kitty loves it and stops crying at being left behind. ...or; kitty hates it and will run/hide and not cry to give away its' hiding place so it won't have to go along.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page