New Kittens - One social and one NOT - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

New Kittens - One social and one NOT

I just got two kittens from a farm last night. They're about a month old, I'm unsure of the sexes but they're from the same litter. Throughout the duration of last night, I kept them in my room with me with a bed, some food and water, and their litter box. They slept in the catbed and under my bed.

I then opened the door this morning and they curiously ventured out, playing and frollicking with each other. I'm able to approach the tabby one (Maizy) and pick her (I think) up, she even fell asleep in my lap. However, Moxy (the unsocial one, white with tabby spots) comes out of my bedroom only following the other, and the rest of the time stays under the bed, against the far wall. Whenever I try to approach him (I think) he hisses and runs away.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Re: New Kittens - One social and one NOT

It may not be that the other kitten is unsocial, but he/she may just need more time to adjust to a new situation while the other one obviously claims the place as 'home' quite easily.

Slow approaches and yummy treats. Also, some intriguing interactive toys. These will help make the kitten feel more comfortable in his/her new surroundings. Plus, seeing their sibling being confident may rub off, as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Sarah, and welcome to Cat Forum.
I do agree that kitten #2 is more reactive and frightened and unsure of its' new surroundings, but if the behavior persists for more than a few days, you may need to "take steps". Sometimes, we need to help kittens learn that it is *okay* to be handled by people. They need to learn we are trustworthy, won't hurt it and can bring (food) or do (petting) good things for it.
To begin with, I would bring a lot of "good things" to the kittens, like canned food to encourage them to eat near you so you can try to gently pet/stroke them as they eat. It may be that is all that is needed to break down that barrier Moxy has hastily put up. If the behavior persists, then we can look at other handling techniques.

There are different techniques and methods for handling various situations one may encounter with feral cats. Overall, all of these links advocate working slowly and steadily with the cats, creating opportunities for the cat to learn and trust. Building on the good experiences and working hard to not create any bad experiences that would set the cat back in its' forward progress towards taming and socialization.

Some techniques I have learned and had great success with...however most of my tips are for feral, semi-feral and poorly socialized cats. The general theme can still be useful when getting cats/kittens used to handling, but you don't have to be as intense with kittens as you need to be with adult cats.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60586&p=
I would also trust any/all articles found at LittleBigCat and MuttCats websites.
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Pure Mutz posted:
Quote:
Slow approaches and yummy treats. Also, some intriguing interactive toys. These will help make the kitten feel more comfortable in his/her new surroundings. Plus, seeing their sibling being confident may rub off, as well.
She is absolutely right. Behaviorists teach us to encourage and reward. It is not at all unusual for a kitten to take time in adjusting to new situations. I'm sure she will adjust. Food is a great way to make friends.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Cat

when i volunteered at the shelter there was this feral cat that ran from everyone except me. (he was around 1-2 years). what i did to get close to him and to the point that he would rub against me is getting him to play with toys, sitting near him and ignoring him. playing with other cats and giving them treats. he would look curiously and slowly realized, "if i bat at that thing i get a treat!".

i may be taking the weird route but i would only look at him when he was looking away. it took me about 3 days before he got used to me. i used to do things like walk towards him sideways or with my back to him. i would let him sniff my finger and look away that way he felt he was "checking me out" without me knowing it. maybe he was semi feral, or maybe not feral at all and just shy. but he eventually warmed up to everyone and got adopted.

hope that helps!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

You did the right thing! Let the cat make the decision, but you're the one with the goodies. Cats are curious and they like to play and they like treats. As long as you don't rush matters, with time and patience, many ferals will come around.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Give it some time. Some cats adjust to change faster than others. Don't push it too much...Let the cat come to you on him/her terms. Toys and interactive things can be a great way to distract the kitten with play while getting him used to you. Even something simple like a long shoe lace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page