Help me help my kittens get along! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Help me help my kittens get along!

Hello!

I have a three and a half month old make named Binky who is a total sweetheart who has been with me for two months.
This weekend I adopted a forlorn baby kitten who needed a home. She (i'm pretty sure its female) is TINY--seems to be only five weeks old. Binky is really excited about other cats and wants to play with this new baby very badly. He sniffs her, pats her with his paws, and wrestles with her. Unfortunately, she is a little too small to be his match!! She eventually whines and her cries sound scared and overwhelmed, and Binky doesn't stop when she starts to "complain." Since he hasn't been around other kittens (his only playmates lately have been full grown cats who don't play with him much), I worry that he is unaware of how to communicate with this new little one, and doesn't respond to her complaints as a result. I worry for her safety when playing with him because he is rougher than her and she is sooooo so tiny and weak.

As of now, I have them in separated spaces and have been taking time with each of them individually. I've also been putting them together for limited periods of time. The little one seems into socializing with Binky at first, then soon starts running away and ends up under a piece of furniture, hiding from him.

Any advice you lovely cat lovers have for me about how to get my little ones used to one another and playing nice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Help me help my kittens get along!

Welcome to Cat Forum!
I would still allow them to play together so their bond remains strong BUT I would only allow them to interact together under direct supervision and remove the tiny kitten when Binky gets too rough and *before* she feels she needs to run and hide from him to escape his attentions. As she grows and gets bigger, she'll be able to dish-it-right-back-to-him but he is too big and she is too small right now.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: Help me help my kittens get along!

Thanks so much for the welcome and the response! I will definitely take your suggestions seriously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page