Cat Arguments? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Cat Arguments?

I recently moved in with someone who also has a cat. His cat is 8 and mine is 6. My cat (Thatcher) is a male and his cat is a female (China), both of them are fixed. Thatcher has lived with a cat before, i bought my ex roommate a kitten for her birthday who he lived with for a year (the kitten was male and fixed). We dont know if China has ever lived with another cat but it appears to me she has not.

From day one Thatcher has attempted to befriend China multiple times a day before giving up. Today was more of the same, he approached her and she started actually growling. I guess Thatcher had had enough.. because he began chasing her around the apartment. There was much hissing (from both parties) and chasing (of China) and now China has herself wedged under the bed (our bed is low to the ground) and Thatcher is at the head of the bed watching her.

I dont know what to do and I'm worried they're going to hurt each other since they both have claws. I've never had a cat before Thatcher and I've never had any problems with him at all... but now... i just dont know what to do.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or have any advice for me? We really need them to at least ignore each other if they're not gonna cuddle because there is no option to move out for either of them... because where would they go?

And of course my dog lays on the floor happy with her chew toy and oblivious to it all. Ahhh dogs. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Cat Arguments?

I think you may have to start over with the introductions and do a slow one.

Here's a good website:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

Oh, and welcome! Pictures?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

well it's to the point now where china refused each attempt thatcher made at being friendly and thatcher has now banished china. she remains under the bed unless she's in my roommates lap or on his desk. if she ventures out thatcher watches her every move. wherever she goes he will lay about 5 feet away and watch her intently. I dont know what this means at all. they were both moved into the apartment at the exact same time so that there wouldnt be territory issues and every time thatcher befriended her she just hissed at him.

i mean i cant see reintroducing them because china is just not having it... they've smelled each other, gotten really close and stuff like that but she just wont give in... idk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Cleo and Cinderella will never be friends. Ever. And after I opened up the house after cutting it in half during the "introduction", Cinderella chased Cleo out of "her" half for quite some time. They exist together now with no real issues. In fact, Cleo actually growled at Cinderella for the first time yesterday (in over two years). I was so happy!! (I know how silly that sounds). You may simply have to accept the fact that you have two cats that will never be buddies.

It took a while for Cleo to be brave enough to hang out in Cinderella's half of the house, but it did happen.

I think it's a good sign that there's no actual fighting with your cats.

I know this was probably no help at all, but they can exist together. Rehoming was not an option for me, either.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page