Need help with sibling rivalry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Need help with sibling rivalry

We have two cats, Boris and Lola, (not blood related) a boy and a girl. They are both about 2 years old. Sometimes Boris will seemingly brutally attack Lola to the point where she is screaming bloody murder (usually she rarely even gives a peep of a meow) and I will run over and there are pieces of her fur on the ground from him biting her so badly.

I know cats like to play, but this seems ridiculous, and from her screams it does not sound like she's enjoying the 'game' if that's what its supposed to be. It seems to be happening as frequently as once per day. My girlfriend and I both work during the day, so I can only hope that he isn't torturing her while we are away...

Does anyone have any advice for me? Lola seems to be constantly scared of Boris now.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Need help with sibling rivalry

Is Boris neutered? Sometimes people only get one cat fixed when they have one of each sex.

It certainly doesn't sound like "play" to me, either. Could there be a cat outside that Boris has been seeing lately? Maybe it's redirected aggression?

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, I don't really have any experience with this type of behavior.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Is Boris neutered? Sometimes people only get one cat fixed when they have one of each sex.

It certainly doesn't sound like "play" to me, either. Could there be a cat outside that Boris has been seeing lately? Maybe it's redirected aggression?

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, I don't really have any experience with this type of behavior.
Both are neutered/spayed. They are not outdoor cats as our neighborhood is unfortunately not very safe for cats. (also signed contract when adopting from PAWS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps more interactive toys and playtime?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Tom Cat

Before I suggest this let me tell you I was against the idea for months. I never dreamed it work, it sounded like a scheme.

Jack never learned to play as a kitten (he came from a crappy indoor/outdoor unspayed and unneutered cat deal) so when we brought Harley home who is the most submissive cat you'll meet we had issues. I don't believe that Jack truly tries to harm Harley, but he wants to prove he is number one and Harley will not fight back for anything.

So for a year I would break the "fight" up and we've just dealt with it.

When we brought the kitten in 9 weeks ago Jack was livid--hated her. Harley loved her, not immediately but it didn't take long. After a month Jack was still hissing smacking and just generally pissed at her. So I finally sucked it up and decided to try Feliway. It was the best money I have ever spent. In a matter of 24 hours the house was different. I found Jack and Harley asleep together on the same pile of laundry. Jack was backing down with the kitten. I thought it was luck. A week passed, no fights had broken out between Harley and Jack--and I normally break them up 4-5 times a week if not more. Jack wasn't hissing as much at the kitten. I decided I would really know if the Feliway was working when it ran out. So we had 4 beautiful weeks of almost no fighting one fight happened when my bro-in-law came, but I think Jack got stressed (his herpes flared as well) and thats it---ONE FIGHT in 30 days. Jack had also gotten to the point where he was walking past the kitten without hissing, she could walk by him too. So being the dork I am I didn't buy another refill and after one very long week of heck--I have broken up probably 6 fights in 2 days--I purchased a 3 pack. I just look forward to the 12 weeks of quiet now.

Best deal right now, entirely pets, has it on sale and if you search on google you'll find a coupon code for $5 off which covered shipping for me. So I got 3 months worth for $40--worth every penny.

leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page