Need help with aggressive cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Need help with aggressive cat!

I'm not a new cat owner, just new to this type of cat for me. When I was 18 I got my first cat, a beautiful sweet natured (She never bite/scratched at anyone in her life) cat. I had her until March of last year(8 years), when she suddenly got sick with pyrometra and I had to opt to put her to sleep to be humane. A side note, please spay your cats/dogs, and avoid the sad event that happen to me.

July of that year, I picked up a cute little stray orange tabby, whom I called Brandy. The people who's house she "belonged" to were going to take her to the pound, because she was irritating their dog so much. She was a very sweet kitten at first, not overly affectionate. Just an independant little lady, but we let her do her thing. We played with her, got her up to date on her shots, and over all loved her. I admit, she was roughed played by my father when she was a kitten, my boyfriend also. I warned them away from it, but I never imagined it would cause all the problems it has.

She never bit/scratched anyone until about 2/3 months ago. She jumped on my lap, and I was talking on the phone and just idly petted her for a min. I stood up and walked away (was in the middle of making dinner). She ran after my leg and swatted at it. I told her "No!" in a loud voice. She seemed to get this "look" in her eyes, and ran back after me. Wrapped her paws around my leg, and bit into me. I yelled,"NO!" again then I blew into her face, and she let go and ran away.

I was overly concerned and called a friend, and she said to buy a water bottle and spray her and yell "No!" again if she looks like she'll do it. The very next day she was playing with my father and he was using a long feathered toy. After she stopped playing, and just laid down he quit. A few mins later, she jumped on his bed, and walked up to him and "swatted" his hand as hard as she could and drew blood.

I've gotten rather good about reading her "looks", and will say "Ah ah! No!" in a loud voice, and usually it will make her stop. If not, I bring out the trusty old water bottle, and spritz her. It seemed to keep her to calm down. But all that is not the issue, she has never learned her lesson and still tries to bite people. Now a new situation has popped up, and it has made her very aggressive, but I do understand why.

A little over two weeks ago, I found an injured kitten. She's a sweet little black and white thing, we are calling Bella. She had gotten attacked by another cat, and was scratched and hurt pretty bad, underweight, and infected. I had seen her before, but didn't wish to bring a poor creature into a home with Brandy. She always ran to me when she saw me near my boyfriend's parents house, and I'd pet her and play with her for a few mins. This last time, she was hurt, and I made a split decision that morning and took her home with me.

I took her to the vet and got her fixed up, and she is healing beautifully. The vet suggested not to introduce them until she was better. This past weekend (Saturday) she was almost completely healed, and Brandy knew she was in the house. I did the rubbing blanket thing and getting Bran use to her scent. She seemed alright with it. Until I put the kitten into the cat carrier and let Brandy into the kitten's room. She went nuts, and tried to attack the carrier over and over. I told her "No!" very firmly and sprayed her with the water bottle. She left the room, and suddenly ran back in and bit my foot. Now I have an infected foot, and a doctor's appointment in the morning, I am getting desperate with this cat, can anyone help me?

Thanks,

'Chelle

P.S. So sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Need help with aggressive cat!

Hi 'Chelle, I wanted to welcome you to Cat Forum and let you know I've read your post, but it is very late. I need to get to bed and I'd rather take time tomorrow to give this type of problem the consideration it needs. Her behavior is very bad and can become dangerous if it isn't redirected soon. I do not have a lot of experience with aggressive animals like this, but I do tame and socialize feral, semi-feral, abandoned and poorly-socialized cats ... so I feel as if I have a good grasp of cat behavior and how they think. If I can't think of anything to safely advise, I should be able to dredge up some good websites with better information than I could provide.
I'll catch this up tomorrow around mid-day.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the post Heidi. I realize my situation is not so unique, I looked up a couple websites through the search on here. But, I'm still not finding exactly what I am looking for. Brandy is not a bad cat, and she has "almost" been taught biting is bad. It just seems she is very aggressive when she smells/sees Bella under the door, and thumps her tail loud and sometimes scratches. I tried the treat trick, it seemed like it helped the first two days I tried it. The third day, she wouldn't eat the treats and just glared at Bella through the door trying to back her down. Any tips with that would help.

Plus, I still haven't read an instance where someone tried to introduce the cats and the resident cat turned their aggression on the owner and attacked them. That still worries me. I have stuck Bella back in her room, and starting back from scratch. But it is obvious she is getting bored though I play with her for a few hours a day at the most and at least 30 mins, and that's starting to bother me too. Also, I own two baby gates, I was wondering about putting the two of them on different sides after getting Brandy more "use" to her again. Does anyone think this is a bad idea for them to see each other?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

I am very sorry, I just cannot think of anything, because I've never encountered a cat like this. I am afraid some of my suggestions (the only things I can think to do) could put you into harms way. I would not tolerate her abuse of my person. I would yell, holler and flail around if she tried to harm me. Let her know that behavior is *NOT* appreciated at all. Zippy's cat Mango would get mad when she tried to bring him inside from the patio at night and would attack her legs, and Zip finally'd had enough and sort of wrapped Mango up in a WWE wrestling move and subdued him until he accepted her control over the situation. It worked for her, as Mango is now polite and respectful of her. That isn't a method I'd just toss out and say for you to do, because I don't know your cat's personality and/or how she could possibly react to something like that.
As for the baby-gate idea..."hypertweeky" recently successfully introduced two cats by using a sturdy screen door to seperate the cats. This allowed them to see/hear/smell each other, but kept them safe. It may just take some time before your adult cat finally accepts the younger cat. Cats can be *very* territorial, much more so than dogs can be.
Good luck!
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the reply Heidi. I'm not going to give up on Brandy, I know there has to be something I can do to break her. Using a water bottle on her and saying "NO!" got her to stop attacking your hands after a few squirts. And she eventually got really good about learning "No!". I just have to gain my confidence with her again, and start from scratch. If I ever get extra cash, I might hire a behavioral expert to work with her. I'll figure it out, but until then I'll gear up like a dog trainer when I work with her. Something will break her temper, she's down right sweet 90% of the time. It's that other 10% that disturbs me, but I'll keep people updated if I find something that works. Lord, knows, if I can help others with my findings I will try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page