HELP PLEASE! Two kittens - aggressive behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

HELP PLEASE! Two kittens - aggressive behaviour

I have an 11 week old part Siamese kitten and I decided to get him a friend as he was getting rather aggressive with me and I figured he was probably a bit bored and needed a friend. I picked up a 7 week old kitten on Sunday and unfortunately now the Siamese kitten (Sammy)has transferred his aggression to the new kitten. (Sylvester)

At the moment they are in my bedroom because I have 10 pugs and it will take them awhile before they will feel comfortable enough to meet the dogs. Eventually they will be moving down into the basement where we have a rec room but I have to clean it up and move my bunnies into another room, etc. etc. so it will probably take some time before they can move down there where there is a bit more room for them.

At the moment they each sleep in a separate dog crate at night which doesn't seem to be a problem. It's during the day that is the problem. When they are out together the older kitten stalks the younger one and when he catches him he bites him sooo hard and treats him as though he has caught a mouse and is intending on killing him. He is very rough with the younger kitten. All the while the younger kitten is screaming and trying to get free from Sammy and finally ends up running under some furniture in order to get away from Sammy. He does seem to come out and come back for more but I am concerned about how intense these cat fights get and if this is normal behaviour for kittens? I've had cats all my life but it's been many many years since I've had small kittens.

I spend almost the entire day in the room with them yesterday and each time Sammy would get into position to stalk Sylvester and pounce on him I would yell at him "SAMMY NO". Sometimes it would stop the attack and other times Sammy just went ahead and attacked the little one. I ended up having to pull Sammy off of the little guy several times. I'm at my wits end at the moment. Is this older kitten going to be like this forever or is this normal behaviour until they get use to each other??? I'm thinking I may have to rehome Sammy if this continues. Just not sure who would want such an aggressive kitten.

I should also mention that they have tons of kitten toys, a kitty condo and scratching post. Their favorite toy is the mouse on the fishing pole which I play with them several times a day in order to redirect their energy to something other than each other, however it just doesn't seem to be working. Sure hope someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Cat Addict

Re: HELP PLEASE! Two kittens - aggressive behaviour

Did you do a proper introduction>? It doesn't sound like it and thats why you are having issues.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

That was not a very helpful post. Yes, I am doing it the only way I can. I try to separate while I'm not in the room. Would appreciate hearing from someone with some constructive help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Cat Addict

I am really very sorry, I didn't have time to make a very long post describing in detail how you are supposed to introduce a new cat into your household, as I was on my wayto work.

Now, you can search this forum for threads on introductions, there are tons of them available.

I hope this post adheres to your standards.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

No unfortunately it doesn't help as I have spent several days reading your old threads about introductions but as I explained in my first post my house is not set up where I could introduce them in the ways you describe.

I have made it clear that they must be in the same room and are only separated when put into their crates. This isn't the best situation for them so hopefully someone here has some knowledge on cat behaviour and how one can get them to like each other without going through weeks of introductions. As I also mentioned I have had cats all my life, have never introduced cats in the manner I've read and have never had any problems in the past. Sammy does seem to be a much more aggressive kitten than Sylvester and I would appreciate hearing how I can tone down Sammy's behaviour towards Sylvester. It is getting better each time I let them together but I would appreciate hearing some other people's advice.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Kitten

I dont mean to sound harsh, but you seem to be a bit harsh with Xanti. Shouldnt you have looked up on proper introductions before getting a 2nd kitten? If you cant keep the kittens properly, why get them?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

Re: HELP PLEASE! Two kittens - aggressive behavior

I have never had to do the proper introductions either BUT, some cats really need it done, so it's always best to start out that way to avoid possible problems. That being said, i understand you have a space issue but, don't you have a bathroom where one kitten can go for a little while? Let them both settle down and start over.
Crating kittens, is not the best idea unless it's for very short periods of time. Kittens have way too much energy and curiosity and need to race around like crazy and explore. Being in a crate can cause them stress and frustration which could lead to aggression. They have way too much energy to burn and, if you have them crated and then put them together, it's not surprising one or both would go a little nuts.
I would clear out the basement asap and move them where they have some space to run around. In the meantime, at this point, it sounds like you really have to find a way to separate them for awhile. Give them a week or two to chill. Play with them TONS to expend as much energy as possible. While they are separated, swap smells by switching bedding and towels and such so they get used to eachother's smell. In a couple of weeks, try introducing them again. First just let them see each other. Before you put them together, get them all tired out and feed them a good meal.
Google cat introductions and you'll get more suggestions.
I know it's probably not exactly what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps.
I doubt your 11 week old is actually being aggressive. It sounds like he's just a bundle of energy and doesn't know any manners yet. They need to be taught what's okay and what's not. When you say he was aggressive with you, what exactly was he doing?
Also, at 7 and 11 weeks, they should actually still be with their Mums. Way too young so they will need some special attention and care for a few weeks. When kittens are able to stay with their Mother and litter, they tend to be better "behaved" cause Mum and siblings teach them some manners. You're going to have to do that yourself now. But that's a whole 'nother post!

Victoria
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Victoria you post was extremely helpful and I appreciate that very much. Yes, I agree that the kittens should have been left with their mothers but both are rescue kittens. The latest one I got was found wandering in front of a ladies home on a very busy street. She had found him at what she feels may have been only 5 weeks old. Very sad what people do with defenseless little kittens. Anyway, they are getting on much better than when I first posted. I think you are right that Sammy just has a ton of energy. He does play rough but the younger kitten seems to be holding his own with him for the most part and I never let them play without me being in there. I have cleaned the basement so Sammy will be able to be down there more now so he won't have to be crated which means the little one won't either. Hopefully all works out in the end. I'm off to the vets to get the little guy his first shots!

Thanks again Victoria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page