Cat is scared of kitten?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Cat is scared of kitten?!

Hi! I'm new to this forum...

But I already have a problem... We just adopted a 2-month-old kitten (yesterday) and he's super adorable! We have confined him to one safe room because we don't want him to be overwhelmed by his new surroundings, the new people and our current 5-year-old cat. But the problem is not with the new kitten, but it is with our current cat. Though the kitten is kept in one room and is settling in very well, Jura is so scared of him! She hides the whole day under my bed and refuses to come out. She clearly is super stressed and won't even come out of her hiding place when I coax her with her favourite food. But it's stange that she's scared of a kitten that is less than half her size and is clearly not a danger to her?!

Jura was a stray and we picked her up when she was a kitten. Since then she hasn't had any interaction with other cats. She is extremely shy with anybody outside of the family and when visitors come, she just hides in one of the bedrooms. I'm really worried that this stress can cause her some health problems, as she is known to overlick herself or have constipation when in stressful situations! What can I do to help her feel more safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Cat is scared of kitten?!

Welcome to Cat Forum. I think Jura smells/hears the kitten, but all she knows is it is something *strange* in *her* home, and it is new, different and frightening her. The best thing for you to do is to shower Jura with love and affection; reassuring her that you love her and she is safe. Take the kitten/cat intro slowly and watch Jura to be sure she doesn't get over-stressed. Kittens tend to think everyone loves them and may rush up to any/all pets, and with a pet who is uncertain or unsettled, this could cause them to react negatively. Try your best to wait until Jura shows some interest in What Is Behind Door #1 and maybe let them sniff each other through the door-gaps before you allow them to nose-nose sniff or play footsie through a door-crack.
Slow and steady. Reassure Jura and try to get her interested in the new kitty. Maybe, as she gets more comfortable, play or treats near the kitten's door so she associates the new kitten with Good Things.
Best of luck!
Heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Heidi for the reply! I have good news: at least Jura came out of her hiding place and is feeling a bit more comfortable... But we'll definitely take the introduction very slowly!!! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

I think that is very good that she has come out of hiding so quickly. It sounds like you are off to an auspicious start, and that's good. Do you have any photos to post of the kitties?
Best of luck!
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page