Bored cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Bored cat

I'm not sure if this is a behaviour problem but I'm hoping you all can help.

I adopted two, 3 year old cats a few months back. I couldn't ask for sweeter, better cats.

The only challenge is that one of the cats seems restless and bored. When I'm around he paces and then will try to get my attention by getting into something or jumping on a counter. He doesn't like normal cat play like toys, balls, etc. and will only occassionally play with his brother (at least when I'm around). He likes when I play with him with a feather toy and he also likes his cat tree, kitty crinkle tunnel, plastic bags and the occassional laser beam chase. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on play toys and he shows no interest in them. The only play he seems to respond to involves human interaction. I dedicate at least an hour or two every day to playtime. I try to ignore his meows and just use the water spray when he jumps on the counter so as to not encourage that behavior. And yet the pacing and meowing continues....

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Bored cat

Welcome to CatForum and I hope we can be helpful for you...
How about: Give him what he wants?
If he is following you around and 'hounding' you, just pick him up and smother him with love for a few minutes. It almost sounds to me like he needs reassurance that you will be his forever home and that he (or you) won't be going anywhere. You've only had them for a few short months and I expect that if you are able to give him plenty of reassurance, over time his behavior won't be so needy and he will be able to relax and feel confident in his new home and not need constant contact for reassurance.
Give it a try, lets see what happens.
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Heidi! So you think it's not so much bored as just wanting my attention? I assumed a few months would be enough but I don't know much about their background so you may be right about needing more time to be reassured. I do pet and pick them up a lot but I can always try doing it more. With two cats it seems like I'm always carrying one around the house with me. At one point I thought about getting one of those wrap around your body baby carriers for them just so I could tote them and have a free hand. lol. Not that they'd go for that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Premier Cat

OMG! You're killing me, here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquared
With two cats it seems like I'm always carrying one around the house with me. At one point I thought about getting one of those wrap around your body baby carriers for them just so I could tote them and have a free hand. lol. Not that they'd go for that...
I was reading your reply and thinking to myself ... "hmmm, 2 cats, she oughta try it with 8!" Then I read your next sentence and *I swear* if I'd had mouthful of a sodapop, I'd have sprayed it all over the monitor from my laughing!

Yeah, I think he may just be the kind of kitty who needs a little more reassurance. I've got kitties that follow me *everywhere*. We had a guest over the holidays and he commented about how wherever I moved w/in the house, it seemed like I had a bubble-force-field around me and the cats moved within it, staying near me. When I've got a kitty who is being persistent about getting attention, as long as I'm not cooking, eating or otherwise occupied with something important, I'll stop and give them a few devoted minutes of smothering attention. This seems to serve two purposes, with one being a bit of reverse-psychology: they seem to enjoy the attention for the 1st minute or so, and then they want to be done ... oh, no! I can't do thaaAAaat ... they came to me asking for attention, so I give it to them until they don't want it anymore. When I finally *do* finish smothering them with attention, they give me a dirty look, ruffle their fur, swish their tail and stalk away to groom their dignity back into place. Then I've got about an hour or so to do tasks until they come demanding *more* attention, and we do it all over again.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

I don't think cats can help being clingy, if that is how they are. It is what it is, and I think it would be best to reassure them as much as possible. That is what they want and what they need. IMO, ignoring them would be feeding into their anxiety. Shower them with love/attention and eventually they may realize that your love/attention will *always* be there and they can count on you to care for them, so they can then relax and not be so needy. I don't think they would reach that point (or they'd take a very long time to come to that understanding) if you continued to ignore them.
Like with children: it bugs the carp outta me to hear them yelling to their parent: "Look at me! Look at me! Look! Did you see what I did? Look at me!" For Heaven's sake...LOOK at them. Now, with children, a parent can explain that they are busy (doing something, speaking with someone) and the child should not interrupt. They will have to entertain themselves quitely while the parent is doing certain things or speaking with other people. We aren't able to explain things like this to our pets, so we have to find the happy middle ground where we are able to reassure them, but still get the tasks we need to do, done.
You'll reach a balance with your kitty. It will just take some time.
h =^..^=

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:08 AM
Premier Cat

You are certainly welcome...and I don't know WHAT it is about *us* being involved in a task and the cat feels a need to plop right down in the middle of it. It's like they meow and say: Love "me-NOW"!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page