fur/poop probelm with my feral - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat

fur/poop probelm with my feral

I have a nice fluffy feral cat who, unfortunately for the last 3 days or so, has had poop sticking to her backside. I can't catcher her to get her shaved and/or cleaned up. I tired a lil while abo and got nice and scratched up.

I called a couple of vets asking if they had any suggestions, the best they could do was suggesting sedation (I would bring her in of course, a challenge in itself) and then they'd clip/shave her butt.
The problem is at the moment, the sedation would cost between 45 - 65 bucks and then another 10-20 to shave her.. and I just don't want to pay close to 100.00 to have her butt shaved..

Anyone have any suggestions?

-chewysmom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Premier Cat

Re: fur/poop probelm with my feral

Can you handle her at all? Will she respond favorably to a scruff hold? How about a scruff hold and a towel wrapped over her front half?

She is going to need to have those stuck poops removed and shaved in a 'potty-patch' would be best. I have to shave a potty-patch on Squirrely-Jo, but I am able to do it at home.
Don't tell my husband, but his hair clippers work better than my horse clippers.

In 2007 I found a very badly emaciated feral cat on my back patio who had collapsed. Think: skin & bones, literally. I was able to bring him in to try to nurse him to health, but after 6wks of fabulous food and care, he was enjoying learning how to be pampered and loved, accepted into our household of cats (pushing a dozen at that time) he continued to lose weight so I knew he was at the end of whatever was wrong with him. His bloodwork indicated possible cancer, so I am glad I was able to pamper him for his last weeks. Anyhow, at his first visit, they gave him an injection that imobilized him and brought me a brush so I could groom the snarls out of his coat and they could examine him thoroughly, because he was *wild* and did try to fight. He bit one of the techs in the arm and that is when they decided to give him the shot.

It worked pretty quickly and allowed everyone to do what needed to be done. I do not remember if they gave him a reversal (I think they did, but I'm not sure) or just had to let it wear off on its' own. When I had decided to euth because he was continuing to go downhill, I asked for some sort of sedative and they gave me a pill to give him that did make him loopy. They instructed me to give the pill about 30min before our appointment and it began to work in short order; his eyes dilated and he became uncoordinated. Louie stayed next to him (Louie is like my nurse-cat) and helped him to remain calm and still until I loaded him into the carrier for the 5min drive to town. When we got there, he did 'wake up' a bit and got slightly combative at being restrained for the final shot and they had to put the towel over his head to help calm him.

So, ask about a pill or the IM shot. I'm sure either of those would be cheaper...and if you can handle the kitty at least 'okay', you may be able to clip the potty-patch yourself at home by using the pill. Put a comb between the poop-snarls and use scissors to cut the fur above the comb. This prevents you being able to pull skin into the path of the scissors. If you have clippers, lift the tail and give a quick shave. If you can't handle her, ask the vet about bringing her in and using the pill or the IM injection.
The pill seems to dope-them-up and the IM injection imobilized him for about 20min or so...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Can you handle her at all? Will she respond favorably to a scruff hold? How about a scruff hold and a towel wrapped over her front half?

She is going to need to have those stuck poops removed and shaved in a 'potty-patch' would be best. I have to shave a potty-patch on Squirrely-Jo, but I am able to do it at home.
Don't tell my husband, but his hair clippers work better than my horse clippers.
I isolated her in our office to get her to calm down (from being chased around by me) and she for a couple of hours just hid, but then, for some reason she let me pet her, and I did scruff her and picked her up like I used to when she was smaller (with one hand under her butt) and tucked her under my arm. I was able to scoot her tail out of the way at get the two major stickages, and also that leg got a trim, as well as the very base of her tail. I'll work on getting the other leg done tomorrow when she is being mellow.

She is the only one of our grey girls that has long fur, and she has a ton on her backside.
If she allows it next summer, I'm going to give her a lil trim (like one of those humiliating Lion cuts!)

Thanks for your answer. I had called several vets this morning and they told me they were going to deal with an aggressive feral, they would have to sedate her, but they did not offer a pill, I will have to ask about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmmm. Well, I have a good relationship with my vet and I believe she knows I have good sense and skill in helping my animals to heal from various situations we've treated together in the past. This isn't so much about what you do/don't know, but how good of a relationship you have with your vet, and my vet has known me long enough to know I can handle some issues on my own and she trusts me enough to allow me more lee-way in treating my animals at home than she would with many other clients and their pets.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewysmom
Thanks for your answer. I had called several vets this morning and they told me they were going to deal with an aggressive feral, they would have to sedate her, but they did not offer a pill, I will have to ask about that.
When we first got ours, she was pretty wild (not technically feral - she had never been outdoors, but poorly socialized is probably the best description). The vet visits weren't fun - the main problem was catching her as most of the time she isn't comfortable letting us pick her up. After the last visit (spaying), they described her as "feisty", and one of the kids working as a sort of vet tech wouldn't go near her. All this being said, she gets better all the time - for our kitty, we don't need to take her back again until June, so we have a lot of time to work with her some more before we have to go through this again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page