Tommy and Tilly - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Tommy and Tilly

Hi all,

My wife and I have would like some advice on how to improve the relationship between our two cats. Tommy, a male short haired tabby is 2 and a half; Tilly, a female long haired ginger is 2 years old.

Some history for you....

We got Tommy at a very young age (3 weeks I think) and at the time passed on taking his sister, something we regret in hindsight. He was a very loving if not cheeky kitten. After about a year we decided to get another kitten, partly for his company but also because my wife wanted another; there was some jealously going on with the male bonding!

So this bring me to Tilly. She was a rescue kitten who we got at 3 months old. We were told that we was born on a farm and left by her mother. A lot of her siblings were taken by a fox before she was rescued. As you can imagine she was extremely timid and for the first month we hardly saw her. Tommy's reaction was what I expected to be natural and we kept them apart and slowly introduced them to each other. He never really warmed to her (although they played from time to time) but we thought with time he would.

Since those early days Tilly has come on leaps and bounds and is now a very friendly, happy, vocal cat. But it seems as the bond between Tilly, my wife and I has improved, Tommy's behaviour towards Tilly has deteriorated.

As it stands now Tommy seems to want to spend more and more time outside (Tilly is an indoor cat for the most part).
Whenever Tommy sees Tilly he either huffs or growls and will beat her at every opportunity. I have taught Tommy to respond to the word 'No' and one held up finger for bad behaviour and this will stop him, but the next time he passes her he gives her a swift paw to the chops!

Tommy is still very loving towards my wife and I, he just hates Tilly..

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Photos of them here https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62277

thanks,

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tommy and Tilly

Welcome to CatForum, I scroll from the bottom up of "new posts" and I'll catch your other thread in a bit.
Well, I think Tommy is feeling a bit displaced and feels he needs to defend his 'territory' from Tilly the Interloper. What you can do to possibly help them accept each other, is to have Good Things happen whenever they are in sight of each other, near each other and/or together. This can be done with toys you control (to prevent any head-on collisions), tasty food treats and petting/loving from one person, person being in between the two cats and using one hand for each cat. Lots of praise and rewards.
What you would be trying to do, is teach the cats that 'Good Things' happen when they are near each other and behaving. The treats, playing and praise reinforces their visual association with each other and hopefully, they will learn to seek to be together so they can get *more* Good Things.
Best of luck!
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: Tommy and Tilly

thanks for your input. ill put those into practice and hopefully in a few months or less ill be able to post a photo of them snuggled up together (one can dream)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page