My cats are urinating on blankets, furniture in their room - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Cat

My cats are urinating on blankets, furniture in their room

I have two 2-year-old neutered male cats (Ace and Bogey). Recently, they have started a trend of urinating outside of their litterboxes on occasion. They only go in one room, and only if there are blankets left on the floor or on any furniture we place in that room. We have gotten rid of the futon that was in there because they urinated all over it. We had an air mattress set up in that room with a blanket on top, and they also urinated on there. (I say "they" because we are not sure if the behavior is coming from one or both of them).

For the first year of their life, they were the only pets in the house. In January, we got a German Shepherd puppy (she's now 10 months old) and in June we got a one year old Rottweiler. We do make sure we give the cats as much (or more) attention as they previously got... but still I fear the behavior might be related to their discontent about the dogs being in the house. The dogs generally ignore the cats, although Luna (the GSD) will lick Ace on the top of the head from time to time. He doesn't seem to mind.

They have two litter boxes, one upstairs in the bathroom and the other in the downstairs room they are pottying in. The room is essentially their room... with a gated off entrance where the dogs cannot follow. It almost seems like it would be a territorial marking... but both cats were neutered at a young age.

The cats do not seem to be urinating on anything in the room, provided we keep the furniture out and the floor blanket free...

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated. I plan on making a vet appointment to rule out any physical problem as the first step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Premier Cat

Re: My cats are urinating on blankets, furniture in their room

Hi, well ... I don't think spay/neuter has anything to do with territorial issues and it seems like the cats are okay with the dogs? Not running/hiding and spending time near and around them...? My 1st suggestion was going to be vet visit to rule out any health problems related to UTIs, but you're already doing that. Afterwards, if it is behavioral, I don't have much experience with that area and hopefully someone else will chime in.
You can clean their previously-pee'd on areas with enzymatic cleaners. I like: Nature's Miracle, OdoBan and Simple Solution. Really soak it on and allow the enzymes time to break down the odor-causing organic material.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Cat

Re: My cats are urinating on blankets, furniture in their room

Hello

I don't know a huge amount about it, but I do know that if the kitties can smell they've peed somewhere before then they'll do it there again (from bitter experience!!). So it may be that they peed somewhere due to being unsettled when the dogs first arrived and now consider it to be a place to go! Hopefully if you try the cleaning the areas with the products suggested by Heidi then it may help matters. Good luck!

L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page