Cat Forum banner

New Kitten

772 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  limeykitty 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just got a new kitten and it seems healthy but it keeps mewoing and calling out to her mother and brothers. I don't know what to do? I fear it might slunk into depression. Is this normal? I'm like new at the cat thing as i used to own dogs, but ya, is it normal? I call it giving my hand but it is afraid of me. What should i do to get it to trust me? It's still very young. Any tips.

#2 ·
Has you new kitty been the the vet yet for a check up? If not, it might be a good idea to go. If your kitty is afraid of you it will take time and patience to gain its trust. Talk to it soothingly, offer it a few treats by hand, get some fun toys and play with it. Bonding can take time. Make sure your kitty is comfortable in its new environment with a soft warm bed, toys, litter, food/water, etc. How old is the kitty? it might be too young to be away from its mom. Also, remember it's frightened. It's away from its mom and in a scary new place. Give it time.

#6 ·
she plays with me now, i mean even when i'm on the computer, she stays with me and bites and scratches my clothes. she keeps fumbling around me, but when she plays with me, the main problem is that she uses her claws and they hurt and i have to pull her back.

#8 ·
Sounds like this kitten is too young to be away from its mother. I do volunteer work with a local shelter, we do not adopt kittens until they are about three months old . I am fostering a kitten right now that is about five weeks old, your kitten sounds like this little one, it uses its sharp claws a lot. Give it some toys it can bat around, make sure it has a warm bed and contain it in its bed for a while several times a day, just like a baby it needs to sleep. I have an electric blanket turned on low under some towels, it cuddles and takes its naps. Good luck, it does take time for a kitten to get comfortable in its surroundings. When my kitten is in its warm box it will sleep all night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.