Pooping mystery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Pooping mystery

I don't remember how long it's been, but been having 'poop outside the litterbox' with Miu for a while.

She's eating a half wet (nature's variety instinct)/half raw (chicken or beef meat only) diet. There are 3 litterboxes in the house. The poop is only found in the basement where it's dark and quiet (there is a litterbox there.) Cap'n Jack doesn't go down to bother her so no ambush issues. I scoop fanatically so it's quite clean.

I had added pine to the litter before (cuz it's lighter) but I thought that made it worse, so switched back to clay litter. That seemed to fix it for a while, but now she's pooping outside again (it started up again, I think, after Cap'n Jack's arrival). It can be found in random places anywhere in the basement. The poop is not dry, slightly hard and seems like normal consistency.

Although I believe it MIGHT be related to Cap'n Jack's arrival, I'm not entirely sure it's the reason and if it is, I'm not sure how to change her behavior.

Does cat attract work for both pee and poop? Do you think I should try it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know if cat attract products are also effective for pooping outside of the box.

Setting aside an unclean box and similar litter box issues, I only know of three reasons for a cat defacating outside litter box. The first is medical, and it's my understanding that medical issues are even more likely to be the cause when the issue is pooping outside of the box, rather than peeing. So, you might want to check that out. The second potential reason arises when a cat prefers to poop in one box and pee in another, but if you already have three boxes, perhaps that's not an issue. That said, you could try adding another box down the basement to see if doing so solves the problem. The third reason is stress and/or territorial issues. For either reason, you might see if you have any luck with Feliway.

I presume you have cleaned all of the relevant areas with an enzymatic cleaner, which needs to be used for poop as well as pee. If not, you should likely do that too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Alpaca: Are you still having issues with Miu pooping outside the box? When I last responded, I thought Miu was a short-hair, but in a recent thread you mentioned she was long-haired. So, that leads me to ask: Is she actually pooping outside the box? That is, are you finding full "dumps" outside the box? Sorry to be so graphic! Or is this just a case of a finding a few stray pieces of poop lying around?

I mention that because I often find stray poop lying around with my two long-haired girls, which initially concerned me until I saw that they sometime leave the box with a piece or two stuck to their long fur, which then later drops off (or they groom it off) once they're outside of the box. If it's the latter, then I wouldn't be too concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

So I tried a couple other things to no avail. I changed the entire contents of the litterbox and put in a nightlight to make it easier for her to see (she likes to eliminate in the basement mostly.)

I was scooping one pee and after that I saw her pooping right in front of my eyes in another corner! Argh. I didnt' want to startle her so I let her finish, then I cleaned it up. Bah.

Next thing I'm trying is moving one of the upstairs litterboxes down to the basement so she'll have 2 down there. Hopefully, she's one of those '1 for pee and 1 for poo' type cats.

@Susan: Yes I clean with Simple Solutions which is an enzyme cleaner.

I'm feeling she's doing this as a result of a poop accident she had before where it had matted to her bottom and I had to cut off fur and clean the area. Perhaps in her mind she's thinking if she poops outside the box, it won't happen again. Going to attempt cutting off some butt fur over the weekend.

Any ideas?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oh hi Susan. You found my thread. HAHA, I just sent bumped my reply before I saw your comment. Yah, I don't mind the graphic description. Yes, full dumps are outside the box. She's just pooping everywhere and anywhere in the basement but in the box. And the strange thing is she'll only poop in the basement and nowhere else. She has on occasion peed in Jack's box or the 3rd box when it was in the main floor bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Hi Alpaca: Are you still having issues with Miu pooping outside the box? When I last responded, I thought Miu was a short-hair, but in a recent thread you mentioned she was long-haired. So, that leads me to ask: Is she actually pooping outside the box? That is, are you finding full "dumps" outside the box? Sorry to be so graphic! Or is this just a case of a finding a few stray pieces of poop lying around?

I mention that because I often find stray poop lying around with my two long-haired girls, which initially concerned me until I saw that they sometime leave the box with a piece or two stuck to their long fur, which then later drops off (or they groom it off) once they're outside of the box. If it's the latter, then I wouldn't be too concerned.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca View Post
Oh hi Susan. You found my thread. HAHA, I just sent bumped my reply before I saw your comment. Yah, I don't mind the graphic description. Yes, full dumps are outside the box. She's just pooping everywhere and anywhere in the basement but in the box. And the strange thing is she'll only poop in the basement and nowhere else. She has on occasion peed in Jack's box or the 3rd box when it was in the main floor bathroom.
Haha...great minds think alike.

I'm not sure what else to say, since I've only had issues with a few stray pieces! Hopefully, someone else here will have had more experience and will be able to offer some suggestions or words of wisdom.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Whelp. Despite my efforts, she's still at it. The next thing I'm attempting is putting her poop inside the box and partially covering it so that she gets the idea that poop is supposed to be INSIDE the box. I'm not sure how that's gonig to over.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

So every time I found poop outside, I've placed it into a litterbox, partially uncovered for her to see. One time she watched me do it. So I told her 'Look, you cover it like this.' And I proceeded to bury it. She continued to watch. This 'putting poop back in litterbox' lesson has gone on for a while. Most of the time, she's not watching me though.

I usually clean twice a day, but neglected to clean even once yesterday. This morning, I found two pee clumps and.....wait for it.....SOME POOP! And to top it off it was BURIED poop!

I don't care if it was a fluke but it's certainly a good start!

When I first got her, she had buried it fine. Then after a while, she wouldn't bury it. Then after her 'poop stuck on butt' episode, she just didn't poop inside the box at all. So yesterday with her both pooping inside AND burying is just heaven! I hope she keeps it up!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Premier Cat

I hope she keeps it up too, but I would still give her a butt trim around the anus if you haven't already done so.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

That's wonderful news!! Keep up the good work Miu!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page