Added dog to family- HELP!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Added dog to family- HELP!!

We have been given a little dog we have only had her here for one night but my cat Meisha is very unhappy. She is not hiding like she normally does she is just skulking around, will not go near the dog and hisses if the dog goes near her. Meisha is not coming to sit with us on the lounge as the dog is always around. I am really not sure what to do I already miss my hugs and I just need to know if she might change. We have decided to give the situation maybe 2 weeks if it does not work we will have to give the dog back, but I really want to make it work! Any words of advice would be more than appreciated!!

Jade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any experience with this situation, but here are some good guidelines:

Cat-to-Dog Introductions | Little Big Cat

Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Premier Cat

You can't put a dog and a cat together on the first day and expect them to get along. So, not to worry, Meisha's reaction is totally normal. The article Marie posted is very good. If you follow that approach, then within a few weeks, Meisha will soon learn to accept the dog, and the two of them should be fine. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Marie I can always count on u to save me!! I will check out that link. And thanks Susan, Meisha was a hard one to crack when I first got her so I guess I am just a little over nervous!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

I love her name!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Cat Addict

I got one dog and 2 cats. They get along fine. The only diff is my dog was here first and I got the cats later.

Definitely you cannot expect them to get along from day one. Totally not. Although results will differ, Rocky the dog and Miu the cat reached their 'happy medium' after about a year. During the first year, there'd be spats on and off, with Rocky bossing Miu around and Miu defending herself with cat boxing or smacks. As I was a novice at the time, I unfortunately just threw them together at the very beginning and yes, there was hissing and hiding.

Later, we put Miu into an enclosed cat room but with see thru glass french doors. She spent some time in there getting used to her new home and from being spayed. That definitely helped a lot. Then after that, I slowly allowed more interaction between the two. You might have to furnish a cat room that's dog-free for Meisha and start from there. Let them sniff under the door or thru a crack. Exchange blankets so they can get used to the smell of each other.

The second cat Cap'n Jack is very submissive and docile. He never hissed, but hid a lot. I highly recommend obedience classes for the dog. My dog attended a round of those and it helped him be more, shall we say, obedient. (haha). It's important that the dog doesn't chase the cat around. In my case, it's slightly different. Rocky still chases Miu around, but she treats it like a game. Even if she doesn't, she isn't put off or scared about it.

They need time to figure out their own hierarchy. You can't do anything about that, but it's a necessary part of a multi-pet household. Once they got that down, they'll chill and behave according to their 'arrangement'.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Cat Addict

It might just take some time for your cat to adjust. Usually I've found that if the dog isn't the one causing the trouble with the cat - like an aggressive dog, then at the very least the cat(s) will come to tolerate the dog in the house. I think they're more receptive to dogs than dogs are of them. Often times they even become great friends. I think in many cases it's easier to get cats and dogs to get along than two cats, so don't give up so soon. I doubt it will take too long for them to sort everything out, especially if you're dealing with a puppy. The cat will learn it isn't a treat pretty quickly.

As for my dog, which was here first, she has always put up with the cat. Occasionally she'll chase the cat (cat won't run so the dog just ends up running up to her and looking like an idiot) or she'll try and block the cats way up the stairs, but that's as far as it goes. For example, if the dog is on my bed and the cat comes up, the dog will always jump off. She doesn't really want to be in the same space as the cat. It's been that way for 10 years, but it isn't a bid deal. Sometimes I think they get along really well. The cat would probably cuddle with the dog if the dog wouldn't be so stand-offish.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 12-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page