taking babies away from VERY attatched mother - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Exclamation taking babies away from VERY attatched mother

OK, this may be long but I've never seen this behavior before and I really want you to understand exactly what has been going on.

So, this cat was a feral mom who had two 3-4 month old kittens. They were going to be killed so we trapped them and put them in my office at my house. But, when they lived outside, we noticed just how clingy SHE was with her kittens. She would be literally behind them everywhere, even when they would play. It's like she was a first time mom or something and she was too anxious to be away from them. This went on even while they were living in my office to the point that she would breast feed them still! At 4 months old! And mind you we gave them soft and dry food everyday.

Not long after they came in she gave birth to 5 kittens. We had to take away the 2 older kittens (one loved people so we took him to the Humane Society to hopefully be adopted out but the other older kitty still lives here, now in my room)

OK, so momma cat has been living in my office with the new kittens for almost 3 months now and she is still all over these like she was with the other two. They get more than enough food but she STILL breast feeds them from time to time. She calls them if they are too far....and my office isn't that big plus we even took out all the furniture so they would have more room. If one of the kittens runs too fast away from us when we come in the room she will hiss at us and she never used to do this. I think they are too big for her to be acting that way and that she is way to attached and we are seriously worried that when we take away the kittens sometime this month that she will go crazy or something. I'm not afraid that she'll bite or scratch us. What we are worried about is her state of mind. We are going to keep her (living in my office since I have cats and dogs) but what if she gets so depress she doesn't eat? Or so anxious she goes crazy?

We are at our wits ends because we have NO idea how to do this. We did keep one of her older kittens (a female) that is too afraid of people and we hoped to at least bring her back into my office to live with her mom once the younger kittens were not here. We hoped that maybe the mom wouldn't be stressed or be lonely once she was back with at least one of her older kittens because there is nowhere else for her to live except in my office as we have no other room available. We don't care if they have to live there for the rest of their lives since we are willing to take care of them so they won't be killed.

If anyone can help us I would be more than thankful because we are so depressed over this and time is running out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

So you have a supermomcat have you? Had one of those once. My "Missy" was not content with her own litter, she used to steal kitties from another female to nurse as well. "Too many kitties"! just wasn't in her vocabulary. It was hard to wean the kittens, as she would just keep on nursing them, even if they were 5 mos. old or older.

It would be best to let her nurse her kittens until at least 12 wks, then start to wean them gradually by allowing them to spend less and less time with her. I suggest you start bringing in her older 4 mo. kitten a week or so before you send her younger kitties to new homes. I don't think she will miss the younger ones that much, and the older one will keep her happy. She should be spayed after she's weaned her kittens. Good luck.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ok, how do we wean the kittens and how do we get them to spend less time with her? I only have that one room so there is literally nowhere else to put them. When we tried once to take them away she started crying after a couple of hours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Premier Cat

Do you not have a bathroom separate from your other room with a door on it? If you don't have a separate room, you could buy a playpen (available as most pet stores) to put the kitties in, tho you'd likely have to put a sheet of plastic on the top or piece of plywood or something to keep out momacat. Put the kitties in the bathroom/playpen for most of the day and only allow them to nurse on momacat once a day. This should gradually dry up her milk so she has less to give them. Feed the kitties first before you let them nurse, so that they're already full and won't want to nurse too long. It's nursing a long time that stimulates the milk productiion.

This should decrease her milk gradually with less nursing, otherwise she could develop mastitis if you suddenly cut the kittens off from nursing on her. Mastitis can appear suddenly with little warning. Look for heat coming up around the nipples, swelling around the base of the teats and watch the her behavior for any sudden changes (lethargy). If you suspect your cat has mastitis, call your vet immediately! Hope this helps, and look forward to hearing how things are going.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ok, so mom cries if we take away the babies. and they start crying. and then I wanna shoot myself lol I just feel so bad for her. I'm thinking of introducing her older kitten back now while she still has the younger ones to see if hopefully when we take them away she'll have the older one with her and won't cry. Is that doable? Also, how do you introduce two cats? I've fostered tons of cats and dogs but not together so I don't know how to do this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Premier Cat

How long has it been since she was separated from her older kitten? You may not need an introduction as she will probably recognize him. You could bring him in the office in a carrier and see what her reaction is. How old is he? If she walks up and hisses you'll know she doesn't recognize him, and if he's not yet neutered that could be reason enough she doesn't want him around. He should be neutered first ifhe isn't (anytime over 4mos.is OK) and that should be done first before introducing her, as she may come into heat again soon.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Premier Cat

You're going to have to show some tough love here if you want these kittens weaned and ignore her protestations.

I should have mentioned when you bring the older kitten in the office in the carrier, make sure you have the younger kittens out of the room somewhere else. Most females are very protective and she may still be in that frame of mind and try to attack if her younger kittens are there with her.

Another thing you can try to discourage the kittens from nursing is to put a stretchy tube top (child size should fit) on her so that her teats are covered up.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

the older kitty is a female and she was spayed. we separated them about a month or month-and-a-half ago on the day we got her neutered. mom went crazy when she came home. apparently didn't like the smell of her so that's why we separated her from mom and the newborns. so it's been almost 2 months that they've seen each other.

the older kitten is about 5-6 months.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

Does your momcat have a cat bed or blanket she lies on? Before you bring her older daughter into the room in a carrier, rub momcat's blanket all over her. Momcat may be more accepting of her daughter with her scent on her. It's possible she might remember the vet smell incident, but most cat's live in the moment, and she's probably forgotten all about that. It's often a common reaction for a cat to be upset by another cat housemate because of the vet office smell even tho you think the cat would know it's catfriend. Usually they get over it in a day or two.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Cat

Nothing to add...but following with interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page