letting new cat outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

letting new cat outside

i have the last couple of days let my 6 month siamese go outside, he has not learned how to go the steps, i live on the 2nd floor...today i took him out, he went down he steps, sniffed around, and then when i went to get him to go back upstairs, he took off running...i chased him for 5 minutes until i was able to catch him...he was darting out into the parking lot, etc......any solution to this problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Premier Cat

I know this is a cultural thing, but I really think you should keep him inside. There are just so many potential dangers to letting him go outside unsupervised, it's almost impossible to list them all. With enough toys and stimulation inside the house, he'd be perfectly happy there.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Cool Cat

I don't trust mine outside, too many things can happen to them so they are both indoor cats only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Cool Cat

Honestly, if you're concerned about him darting into the parking lot or running away when you let him outside, then the best solution is to not let him outside.

Unless the cat came to you as an long-time outdoor stray who refuses to stay indoors, there's really no reason you need to get him accustomed to going outside. Is there a particular reason you want to let him outside?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Cat

I believe the solution is to keep him inside at all times
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Premier Cat

The only solutions to your problem are to keep him inside, as others have suggested, or train him on a leash/harness and go outside with him.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Cat Addict

Sinatra gets to go outside because he used to be a stray. However, he is ONLY allowed out on a harness and leash, under my close supervision, and only in the grass in front of our apartment. Letting your cat roam alone outside is not safe, imo

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Cat Addict

My cat is allowed outside because she was semi-feral and is very smart/scared when it comes to cars and people and other animals outside. She has a cat door and can come and go as she likes.

However, if I had a cat that didn't start out outdoors, one that I didn't know I could trust out there, I would not get them used to outdoor life if you live in an area of high traffic, and it sounds like you do since you mention a parking lot. You risk a lot letting your cat outdoors, since who really knows how the cat is going to respond to strangers/cars/other dangers? In fact some cat breeds have no "survival instinct" at all.

If you really want the cat to be somewhat outdoors, I suggest a leash. But with that comes you needing to be out there with your cat, and the fact that if your cat becomes accustomed to it you might be faced with a cat constantly asking to go outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Premier Cat

I see that you live in Arizona. It wouldnt be a good idea to let your cat outside here unsupervised. There are too many coyotes in the city and country, hawks, cars, mean people and other cats with Fiv and FeLv to fight with. Not to mention the parasites that are in the soil here.

Humane Society did a study of cats in the US. Indoor/outdoor cats live apx 1-5 years where indoor only cats live apx 15 -years. Your cat is way too young and not savvy enough to protect itself and avoid danger. In this state you need to make your cat an indoor only cat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Cat Addict

That sounded like a potentially dangerous situation. Is there a particular reason why you're trying to convert an indoor cat into an outdoor cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page