We are re-homing our dog. Will the cat grieve? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We are re-homing our dog. Will the cat grieve?

For a variety of reasons, we have decided to re-home our Golden Retreiver dog with the assistance of a Golden Rescue in our state.

My cat and the dog are pretty close. They have only lived together for two years ( once I married into the dog-family) and they have never fought, sleep together and have a close companionship.

How will this effect my cat? Do you think he will grieve?

When the dog has been gone with relatives during house remodeling, I have not noticed Kitty acting differently. He seems the same as he always is, but I am curious as to how this may effect him.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Premier Cat

If the bond is as close as you say, the cat will likely grieve the loss. He may look for him throughout the house, want doors opened, may seem depressed, eat less and sleep more. It may take him a few weeks or months to return to normal.

On the other hand if the dog bugged the cat when he didn't want it, hogged more attention, was jealous if you pet the cat and tried to push him away from you, the cat may be happy he's gone and has all your attention. You will know how strong the bond is by how the cat reacts when the dog is gone.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Kitten

Ivory was very close to our family pets. She grew up with another cat and dog. When I moved out the cats came with me. For the first little while she would look for him and try to fill the void with my other cat. When we'd visit they were old buddies. However after a year or so she didn't seem to care, and after two years (and developing bad nerves from a bad cat she met) she no longer liked him and didn't want to be near him. She was still very dependent and needed to be around a person or animal when my other cat passed away she grieved again, then hissed or hyperventilated around all other animals. We got our dog over three months ago and it took her a couple weeks to accept him. Now she wonders the house to hopefully find him sleeping and cuddle near him. She doesn't care for his puppy playtime antics though haha but you can tell she enjoys knowing there is another living thing at home.

Kitty will be confused at first but will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Cool Cat

After my dog died Neko missed him but there weren't any obvious issues. He ate normally, acted normally. However I had our dog's collar and tags on my bed post and once time I was getting into bed and caused them to jingle. Neko BOLTED from wherever he was in the house into my room and started looking around frantically, meowing. It was clear he was hoping Max was there. They had lived together for two years as well and slept together every day.

So I do think there is a possibility your cat will grieve, it could be something drastic like not eating, walking around mewoing in an attempt to find him, and just acting sad, or it could be a subtle thing like it was with Neko. You may consider letting the dog sleep on a blanket until he has to leave and then keeping the blanket for the cat to sleep on. The familiar smell may comfort him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page