Kitty change in behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Kitty change in behaviour

Hi

I have not visited this site for a while. My cat Mimi is not the same, she is not cleaning herself, refuses to eat food (now for an extremely greedy cat this is so unusual) and sleeps all day long. She doesn't even purr as much as before. My husband was always the one who fed her, I was the one who did the teethbrushing, nail clipping...etc..my husband is away on a business trip. Could she be missing him that much?

worried...Mimi's mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

I'm sorry- it sounds like she isn't feeling good. How old is she? Is she dirinking water? If not she could be dehydrated. That can make cats nauseous and so they don't want to eat.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hi thanks for note, she is about 5 yrs now and she is drinking water. I will take her to the Vet today to get her checked out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

yes, this is mimi's daddy away on business trip. I'm quite despondent myself that I'm so far away on an extended trip unable to go see my little kitty. She is a special needs kitty FIV positive and even with her condition, she appeared very normal. With lots of affection and attention this year, she was always active, loved to eat and just be with us. I was working home most of time so she was with me most of the time. Now that I'm away, I think she is extremely depressed even though my wife is there to tend to her and show her just as much affection..giving her my blankets to sleep on etc.. still, she appear to be missing me so much and because of her FIV condition, we are afraid her lack of appetite will worsen her state. I might need to cut my trip short to be with her. She is so important to us.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

Good that she's going in to see the vet then.

I had a cat, Sophie, who used to quit eating when I would go out of town. (and occasionally other times - she had IBD). My vet gave me cyproheptadine to use, which I used sparingly- usually 1/4 of a pill if caught right away when she stopped eating, otherwise a couple of doses seemed to get her to start eating again.

Of course, you can try a smelly wet food too. If she's not sick to her stomach, she might start eating something "different"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thank you so much for your suggestion. I hope the vet can prescribe her something. My wife is going to try to feed her some of her favorite fried chicken which we tried not too since it is very salty food.

I just can't wait to get back to her.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

It's funny about the favorite food...Sophie's favorite was chuck roast, which I started to make without salt just because I knew she would want some.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, I think it's probably better to just try to get her to eat something than worry about how healthy it is right now, so the fried chicken is probably a good idea. If she refuses a favorite junk food treat then it's more likely there's something wrong beyond finicky eating.

Obviously a vet checkup is in order, but hopefully it is just her being picky, or missing you, and not an illness. I've yet to be away from my cats for long, but the dog I grew up with gets like this sometimes. I go to my parents' house every weekend to visit him because he gets very sullen otherwise. The good news is he perks right up when I arrive and that tides him over for a while, so hopefully Mimi will be right back to her usual self as soon as you get home!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Any unusual changes in behavior can signify an underlying health issue, so I'm pleased to hear you're going to see the vet. I hope she's feeling better soon!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Mimi ate some chicken, but not as much as I had hoped. I couldn't get her an appointment today with the Vet, but we are scheduled for tomorrow. I will be with her tonight.

Mimi's Mum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page