so far, so good - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
so far, so good

Tristan has been back for a week or so and for the most part things are going well. I did have a door installed at the entry to the basement so its much easier to keep Tristan and Skylar apart. The first night he came home, she came upstairs (I didn't secure the gate completely) and almost went after him... she was stalking intently and quickly approaching as he ran behind the couch but no actual fight (I grabbed her up pretty quickly).

The only other time they have really been "close" was when he was on the back porch with the glass door shut and she was loose in the house. She again took sight of him and slowly crept across the floor stalking toward him. I shouted and wandered off.

But otherwise everyone is happy. For the most part, I have Skylar and Carson downstairs during the day, then feed everyone dinner and keep Tristan and Logan confined to the "cat room" at night while the big girls are free to roam about and sleep with me. I've switched up and had Tristan and Logan downstairs too.

I'm majorly knocking on wood here, but except for his first night home when he peed on a collapsed hamper I let them play in, we've had NO urine issues! The boxes have all been scooped twice a day and I've been keeping things pretty picked up. He had been peeing on a papsan chair in the basement but I soaked it really well a week or so ago and was planning on putting it in the guest bedroom they don't have access to. I forgot though. The other night I was laying in bed when I realized he was downstairs and I didn't move the chair. The next morning I hesitantly sniffed... no sign of pee! I've since left it where it is but covered it with a blanket (with another folded blanket under) to hopefully catch any urine and make clean up easy if needed, but so far he's been down there several times with no issues. Plus, I caught Carson sleeping in it the other night, so I'm leaving it where it is

I talked to a woman at work who had a similar problem - her cat was going nutso on everyone in the house. He's twice Skylar's weight and she's had him on 5mg Prozac twice a day. Admitted he was put on a high dose. Skylar was originally on 2.5mg once a day. Since the "second chance" I've been giving her 2.5mg twice a day instead. I've still not noticed any difference in her personality (no "zombie kitty" at all). I also purchased a bottle of At Ease Calming Spray (kind of a cheap Feliway). I haven't used it much, but plan to use it a lot more once it comes closer to bringing them together again. I do occasionally spray Skylar's collar and the places she sleeps the most, as well as the "box" in the cat tree that I feed her in.

I'm still afraid this isn't going to work and that they'll never able to live together, but things are at least calm enough how they've been going that I'd be ok doing separation thing long term if needed.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Isn't it wonderful to be in a calm house?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Sooo glad your plan seems to be working, OsnobunnieO! As Marie mentioned - there is NOTHING like having some sense of serenity after constant in-fighting.

AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

Hope everything works well this time for you....so far so good! When you see good behaviour, always praise it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you're able to arrive at a workable solution this time around.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The cats have been doing pretty well with the current situation. Obviously, whoever is closed away puts up a bit of a fuss but they quiet down quickly. Its mostly the kittens, but they are really unhappy ANY time they are behind a closed door.

I generally have two downstairs during the day and switch at night, but every now and then I keep them where they are a couple of days at a time. When its meal time I feed two in the cat room, close the door then go downstairs to feed the other two. If its the kittens downstairs they BOLT passed me when I open the door then quickly realize I have food and come back. A couple of times Logan has run in on the big girls and scarfed their food. Hence the need to shut the door first

This morning Skylar and Carson were downstairs. I decided to feed all four cats downstairs and see how it went. When I opened the door, Tristan ran right past Sklyar with little if any reaction from either of them. All four ate normally. When Skylar had her fill, she sat at the top of the cat tree grooming herself for a little bit while he was still licking his bowl (in hopes of more food appearing no doubt). She then jumped down, slowly walked past him. Turned and looked at him, then kept walking. I was so happy I scooped her up, loved on her and ran her upstairs to give her treats! I kept them apart the rest of the day like normal.

My mom and brother came over for dinner earlier this evening. Sklyar and Carson were up here with us. My brother (who does not like cats) has grown kind of fond of Tristan. Plus, he thinks its funny to watch the kittens go nuts over food. He wanted to downstairs to see him and give them treats. I warned him they would run past him when he opened the door but he didn't believe me. I was curious to see how things would go, so I let him do it. And of course, they bolted past him. He brought the treats upstairs (although it didn't matter since they were on top of the table eating leftover pot roast). After several minutes of everyone being in the same room, Skylar just sat in front of the fireplace and watched it all. Even when Tristan was on the floor just a few feet away from her.

Now in general I'm not completely surprised. She wouldn't really go after him the second she saw him... more stalk and stalk and stalk then attack. But the fact that she hasn't even hissed is a good sign, and he hasn't really paid her any attention is even better... normally he sees her and runs away or cowers in a corner.

I think its time to start giving them short periods of time together. All involving food. Meals will be fed together every few days, maybe even daily. And I will start again with feeding treats to everyone in the same room. I still wouldn't DARE leave them together more than a few minutes at this point. But I'm pleased with the progress.

Jessie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

I'd be pleased with the progress too...let's hope it continues!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Nice update, even baby steps are good.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Must stop posting good updates.

Fed them all last night and went to scoop the litterboxes while they ate. Kept thinking it was a bad idea even though I was just across the room. Tristan finished and left the basement. Even thought to shut the door while he was out.

Just a minute after I heard a thundering of feet up the stairs and found she had him pinned behind the dryer.

And we're back to the beginning. And I think its time to switch her medication to something else.

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page