Composure for cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Composure for cats

Hello,

I tried not using the Feliway for a couple of days to see how they would do, but my cats started fighting more. Although Feliway works, it is quite costly over time. My Little Pumpkin has been living in fear again hiding under the bed and running for her life when my "bully", Baby Oreo goes after her. I am thinking of trying Composure but not sure which is better, the liquid or pill form. Do you use both Feliway and composure at the same time? Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Jr. Cat

How long have your kitties been living together? Maybe this is just a hierarchy transition stage?

I haven't heard of Composure before, but I have tried Feliway and I think our cats like the smell of it. I'm not sure if it's helping with their anxiety around the dog, but it doesn't seem to bother them much. It is very expensive and it comes in such a small container so I don't use it much. I have also tried the Rescue Remedy for pets, I just put a few drops in their water and they don't mind at all. I think that using Feliway is good for establishing relaxing safe zones for your kitties, and from doing some research Composure looks like it is good for stress and nervousness reduction. The two together might help you out a little. I like to use the Rescue Remedy because it has more natural ingredients. I got mine online for about $11 and it comes in a little dropper bottle and you can add 2-4 drops of it to their water every day. I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try, maybe some other people can share their advice

Oreo does look like a bully in his picture haha! I hope everything turns out well for your kitties.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Premier Cat

Ive used Composure Liquid by Vetri Science with great success. I have always used the liquid form. Ive never tried the pills or the composure treats. Composure is a natural liquid so not to worry like you would with other treatments that would be like an anit depressant.

Feliway works about half the time for me. The plugs in have greater success than just the spray. But you have to make sure of the square footage for each outlet of the Feliway.

Ive had less success with Rescue Remedy. My friend has found good results with the Spirit Essence products. I like thier product because you can put it on the skin of the cat. When putting homeopathic drop in water your never sure how much the cat is consuming so the effectiveness is limited.

How long have your cats been together or is this a new introduction?

Here is Spirit Essence website and also an article of Safe Spaces Spirit Essence that might help.
Spirit Essences - Holistic Remedies for Animals

The Making of a Spirit Essences Remedy: Safe Space for Cats | Little Big Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Banned

Have you tried buying your Feliway refills from Amazon? Not only are their prices much lower than Petsmart / Petco, you can buy in bulk and pay even less.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for all your responses. I have had Oreo for two years, she is about 3 years old and Little Pumpkin I adopted 6 months ago, she is a little over a year old now. Prior to Little Pumpkin I had two elderly cats that passed away. Oreo bullied them too when they were alive and this is why I adopted a younger kitty who I thought Oreo could play with as my elder cats never wanted to be bothered by her rambunctious ways.
When Little Pumpkin first came here, the introduction was done slowly following the advice from the other Cat Forum members and the Little Big Cat Intro article. After a couple of weeks, they both seemed very intrigued to meet and Oreo as usual started going after her. Little Pumpkin would stay in her safe room for most of the time. It took about two months before she would set foot in the other parts of the house. Oreo chased her any time she saw her and always pounced on her just like she did with my elderly cats.

I then decided to try the Feliway diffuser plug in from Amazon and thought that maybe when it came close to running out, I could see how they would do without it. Well the first time I unplugged the Feliway diffuser from the outlet, a couple of days later, found Oreo's ear bleeding a little. I had posted a pic of her ear and most of the Cat Forum members said it looked like a bite mark. I had put some neosporin on it and it healed in about two days. The cats began fighting or playfighting rough again so I ordered the Feliway in bulk on Amazon. Then when my new batch of Feliway came in, I immediately plugged it in and they seemed to calm down again. Well, when my last feliway refill was almost depleted, I unplugged it just to see if they could once again get along without it. Well this time, I found Little Pumpkin with a bite mark on her ear. I could not believe how mean they can be, to actually bite each other. Not only that, but my sweet little innocent Pumpkin had started hiding under the bed again and shortly after, she ripped out some of the bedding underneath the boxspring of the bed and made a little home for herself. It was almost like she was looking for a real hiding spot from Bully Oreo. They constantly chase each other around the house and they each take turns being the aggressor but Oreo does it more. Oreo will walk right up to Little Pumpkin and smack her on the head while she is sleeping. I think since Little Pumpkin has gained weight and is now slightly bigger than Oreo, she is beginning to stick up for herself more. But I hate seeing them biting each other. So now the Feliway is plugged in again and they are getting along better. But they still play fight just no blood on the ears. I am sure Little Pumpkin is stressed from having Oreo bother her so much. What would be the best thing, just keep using Feliway plug ins? Or use it with another product such as Composure, Rescue Remedy, Spririt Essences remedy and which one, the one for bully??
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:36 AM
Jr. Cat

Does Oreo pounce on the other cats with the intent to hurt them, or does she just want to play chase and kind of rough house with them?

When I brought Kimba home (our Savanah), she went straight to chasing Cruncher (our Maine Coon), right after we let them into the same room after a few weeks of quarantine. Cruncher is was used to being the boss with the cat she grew up with who is now passed, but since Kimba came in they butt heads every once in a while since they both have a dominant personality. Kimba would chase Cruncher up and down the stairs and around the house, but I think her intent was just curiosity, not to harm Cruncher. Now they get along pretty well, but they sometimes have their moments and it's been about 6 months.

Maybe your girls are still trying to establish some sort of hirearchy but Oreo just won't let up. Pumpkin probably is very scared of her since she only knows that she will chase her when she's in sight.

Cruncher hates our dog and is sometimes very afraid of her since she is so large, so I sort of know your situation. She has her own parts of the house where she can be alone by herself or with me and I think that puts her a little bit more at ease. Maybe when you get up in the morning have Pumpkin with you in the same room while you're getting ready for work or taking a shower. Shut the other cats off in another part of the house so she can have some alone time with you and that will give her a chance to feel safe and more bonded to you. Maybe establish a place where you give her treats every morning so she is happy to be with you. That will probably help reduce some of her stress.

As for getting Oreo to stop bullying her, maybe you could try scolding Oreo when you catch her in the act of doing something mean? I'm sure you've tried that, but maybe add a squirt bottle to the mix and give her a squirt on the butt when she's being unruly, or when you can tell she's getting ready to chase or smack Pumpkin. Don't even let her think about it!

If they get more used to being around eachother maybe try feeding them their favorite wetfood together, or try playing with them with a feather toy in the same room. Try to get them to bond together. Rub Pumpkins cheeks with a towel to get her scent on it and then rub the towel over Oreo so she gets used to her scent. Every time I pet our dog or Kimba I go straight over to Cruncher and pet her too so their scents mix together. I'm not sure if it does anything to help her get used to the other animals, but it's worth a shot.

Maybe I will try getting the diffusers and I'll let you know if it helps with my kitties too in conjunction with Rescue Remedy.

Good luck with your kitties, keep us updated!

Last edited by Snarfums; 12-31-2010 at 04:38 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Premier Cat

Spirit Essences - Holistic Remedies for Animals

Go into the Spirit Essence webpage. They have different mixtures for each set of issues. Pick out the one which address the issues.

I know in Tucson they can do specialized mixtures of what ever you are dealing with at the compounding pharmacy

I would give the bully cat the composure. He needs something to calm him down. I would try the Compusure with the Spirit Essence together and see if that helps.

Feliway is so expensive that is why Id try the other two together first.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

For Snarfums:

Does Oreo pounce on the other cats with the intent to hurt them, or does she just want to play chase and kind of rough house with them?

I believe since Oreo was from the streets of NY, she is either a stray or semi-feral. She is a delightful cat with only me but she just doesn't get along with my other cats. At first, I thought maybe she didn't like the elderly cats because they never liked to play, they would rather sleep all day. But when I adopted Little Pumpkin, who was just 7 months old I figured they would enjoy playing or playfighting. I think when the Feliway is plugged in, it is mostly playing or playfighting. However, when it is not plugged in, it becomes real fighting with them biting each other. It only happened once that I know of to each of them. The bite marks were both by their ears, were small, and healed within a couple of days.

I am now awaiting shipment of the Composure and my new batch of Feliway refills, which I use in two rooms, where they hang out the most. I also have the spray which I intend to use when transporting Little Pumpkin to the vet. She is a rather skittish scaredy cat. The ironic thing is, Little Pumpkin is not scared of my boyfriend's Yorkie dog but Oreo fluffs up like a porcupine whenever that dog comes to visit. It's hystertical to see a tough bully from the streets kitty Oreo be so afraid of a dog that is actually smaller than her. Whenever the Yorkie comes over, Oreo is on her best behavior and sits quietly staring at him all day. As soon as the dog leaves, Oreo is back to chasing Little Pumpkin again. I think for now, I will use the Feliway diffuser plug in and the composure treats (since I already ordered them and it is in transit) and see how that works.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-31-2010 at 01:41 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

For Mitts & Tess: I already ordered 6 Feliway refills but that will go quick as I use two at a time in different rooms. I also ordered Composure which is on it's way too so I will give that to the bully. Should I not give to the scared kitty that is getting bullied? I was going to try giving them both the Composure to see if it calms them both down.

As for the Spirit of essence, I looked on their website and the Peacemaker one seems like something I would try. Also, the bully one. Should I try both or just one at a time?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-31-2010 at 01:51 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Jr. Cat

Do Oreo and Pumpkin scream when they are fighting, or is it just a hissy-fit? I know that when Cruncher screams that means she is very upset, but when she hisses she's just being a drama queen.

Maybe your solution would be to get a dog! If Pumpkin seems okay with one and Oreo is more cautious then maybe that might straighten her up a bit haha! Who knows!

Just curious- how long do the feliway diffusers last? I might try getting one as long as they last at least a few weeks -fingers crossed-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page