With the addition of a new kitten comes a few issues with my 2-year old cat. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

With the addition of a new kitten comes a few issues with my 2-year old cat.

So let me open up with my 2 kittehs. Shmonster is 2 (just), Luna is somewhere around 10-12 week old. On Tuesday night Erin, my gf, surprised me with a 10 to 12-week old kitten. Not really sure because she was a stray, Erin bought her at Petland. Now she's adorable, she does the one thing I wish Shmonster would do; snuggle. Shmonster isn't a snuggly kitty. He can act pretty unique. He's a... "I'll be in the same room with you, even lay next to you all day" kinda kitty. A... kitty that will fetch and play with me. A kitty that loves to sit on top my shoulder when I go outside in the morning when the weather isn't 14 degrees outside and I can step foot on the deck. It's currently covered in feet of snow. He is... my best friend. The night we got her it was pretty clear he was un-easy with her around.

This isn't the 1st time we've tried to add an addition, fact, whilst we were in Hocking Hills (Ohio) this year we found a little dog. We named him Logan after the town Hocking is located in. He was a great dog, but he was a lot of work. I'm not a dog person and I'll be the first person to admit it. I am a kitty person and he was a great dog to try out for the 1st time. Or so I thought. I didn't see my cat - figuratively speaking until the day Greg and Leann came from PA to get him. My relationship with my cat changed. I thought forever... at the time. The day he left, the moment I came home... he was my kitty again.

Now... With Luna (Yes, Luna... after the Smashing Pumkins tune on 'Siamese Dream') he's pretty good with her. Sometimes he's very good with her. Thing is - he never really ignores her. He's good at that. He kinda just blends in with us. Well, not since Wednesday. Problem is - is he can't just leave her alone. If he's in the room with her, if he hears her... he's watching her. Sometimes he kinda stalks her. When they play, I can't tell if they're playing or fighting.

As a result, I've been pretty upset with him because she's just a kitten. Grabbed him by the scuff of his neck a few times. squirted him a lot. I've been trying to be her champion but I fear by doing this I'm going to lose my best friend. Make no mistake. He is my best friend. I don't want him to be the typical aloof cat that doesn't spend any time with anyone. I don't want him to change nor do I want my relationship with him to change. I've had similar cats but none have shared a relationship that we have. He's not completely different. I'll confide in that - he's just jumped on the couch with him all the way at the end, Luna, my gf and her Kindle and her dog nestled closely, as well. I'm on the L-portion. I'm happy right now. I need to know they're not going to always have this relationship. I need to know I'll have my best friend back and that I can snuggle her without him looking at me like he wants to claw my face off.

This is Erin --- Just to give you my point of view: When we had Logan there was a pretty distinct change in Shmonster. He was just on the defensive all the time. With the new kitty that is definitely not the case. He is EXTREMELY curious of her and at times I believe that he is a little jealous of her. Personally I actually feel as though he has been more "involved" with hanging out with us if only because he is sooo curious about her. For the most part, if he over steps his boundaries with Luna or plays too rough she lets him know and he backs off. I've told this too Ant, but in my personal opinion, I really just think it's going to take time. It's only been 5 days and I am very optimistic. BUT I don't have the same relationship Ant has with Shmonster. . . and if I felt that my own dog was withdrawing because of the new addition I would be just as conflicted.

In short - I've grown fond of Luna, very much in a very short amount of time. She's such a snuggle monkey. I want everyone to get along and everything to work. I'm just so... sooo... just, please, ya know?

Thanks in advance.

Ant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Cat Addict

It's only been five days, they sound to be making wonderful progress! A lot of cats need to spend weeks in seperation before they can even come close to being in the same room together. Maybe you've moved too fast in the introduction period, although what you've described sounds like somewhat typical behaviour when a new cat is in the home. Some cats will never get along however, I wouldn't worry too much. Cats can play rough, as long as there isn't any "meerrrow" noises (you'll know it when you hear it) and no blood is being drawn, let them tumble around.

I also think it's worth noting (since you really stress how you don't want your cat to change), that when two cats start to get along sometimes their relationship with humans change. I wouldn't be seriously concerned about this, but if all goes really well you might find your cats spending more time together and a less with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 12-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She does make the high-pitched growl as you described. Though, as I wrote that yesterday they've been great (by comparison) today. So today actually feels like progress! She's upstairs with the wife and he's downstairs next to me sleepin' on the couch. hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

You can't just throw cats together like you can with dogs. Here's some good information about introductions:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Shmonster is rightfully put out that you just dumped this new tiny intrusion on him with no warning. Since you're only five days into this, you could start over from the beginning, or at least keep them separated when nobody else is home. Things should sort themselves out fairly soon, kittens are usually accepted pretty quickly because they're so small and not really a threat.

And I really have to ask......

Where the heck are the pictures? We LOVE pictures!!!!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Just saw Schmonster's pictures. How adorable!!!!!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I may try to separate them soon. He really concerns me when he grabs her neck and just... wrestles her down the ground. I can't tell exactly what it is that he's doing. I've seen cats (big cats) do that on shows in the jungle. I can't imagine it's much different. I want to understand what that is and why he does it. Because he'll lick (clean) her and then opens up and grabs her neck. What is that? I stuck my finger in his mouth to get him away from looking like it was twisting her neck around. It looked awkward and painful.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like he's just trying to play. If Luna is ok with it, then you needn't do anything. On the other hand, if/when Luna is crying or struggling to get away, then I would distract Schmonster with a toy or something similar.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 AM
Kitten

I adopted an adult male and 2 kittens on the same day, and I noticed the older cat doing that to the kittens. He'd lick their head and their ears and then BAM go for the jugular, and I know what your talking about with the big cats. I was always watching "Big Cat Diaries" around the same time I got the cats and it really looks like the older cat is doing the thing the lions and cheetahs to to suffocate their prey.

I personally seperated the cats when I was gone, and the neck thing bothered me so much that I would break it up. I do believe in letting the cats duke it out and establish their heirorchy (i don't know how to spell that). And I believe that the older cat should be able to let the younger ones know who's boss, but they're so little that I seperated them when It happened till the kittens got older.

It's been about 8 months and ow the 2 kittens play with each other and leave Mr. T alone. (he got his name because how mean he was to the kittens and the neighbor cats) Mr. T just kinda spits at the kittens when they get to close to him. I'm sure yours will cool it after a while. It took mine 8 months for me to really just let the go. lol Now I actually kind of root for Mr. T when Pierre's buggin him... that cute little kitten's grown up to be kind of a butt. I'm not sure if i can say that here...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Shmonster is a big kitten, himself. I remember someone telling me that cats are inherently lazy so if you discourage them enough they will give up. Luna, though, holy crap. I've never seen a cat that displays so much... tenacity. That's not usually a trait possessed by a cat. Shmonster is getting better with her by the day. They were up on the bed early this morning, (like 4 or 5am early) and Luna sleeps with me all night. Shmonster sometimes sleep down by my feet. He doesn't like her up there. I moderate the best I can. I just pet luna and he's kind of discouraged. That little one can be a little pain, too. I know what you mean. I haven't separated them yet. Haven't felt the excessive need to. But I know it's an option. Makes me feel better.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I do have one more question. Shmonster is kind of a big baby. Like, with her in the bathroom this morning where his food bowl is she was up on the counter, he wouldn't eat. He'll wait for her to be gone. He's almost stopped purring for me, it used to be I'd pick him up and he'd pur immediately. I miss having that cat around. They both slept at my feet all night. He even waited until 7:00 to wake me up because it was time for breakfast. I guess I'm really looking for some perspective here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page