Nursing? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
Nursing?

I notice Riot will go to Lincolns belly and try to latch on to a nipple. This is a new habit. When he does this the dog gets upset, growls at him then corrects him with his mouth GENTLY. Should I leave the dog to take care of it as I notice he is doing it less and less since it first started. My dog wouldnt hurt him hes pretty good at correcting his kitty when he does something bad.

Or is there a way I can correct it? Its really hard because he does it when I am sleeping and wake up to my dog doing a fed up growly whine and a cat promptly on the floor. I only ever saw him do it a couple times with my own eyes, but by the time I get there the dog has taken care of it...

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Premier Cat

I think your dog likes Riot a lot as he tolerates him sleeping near and on top of him, but doesn't enjoy the nursing attempts. If you're sure the dog will not seriously injure the cat, I think what he's doing by growling and gently correcting kitty with his mouth is fine. After a while kitty will get the idea that sucking isn't welcome. I remember having a stud cat that actually enjoyed having his older kitties nursing on him, as they gave him a tummy massage at the same time which he really enjoyed. It wasn't harmful to him, he liked it and gave his kitties comfort, so I didn't seem any reason to interfere.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Premier Cat

Up to you, as long as the kitty remains safe from Lincoln's protests. If you allow it to run its' course Riot may stop on his own. If you dab some type of 'bitter' product on Lincoln's nipples then Riot will avoid them on his own ... but he may pick up a different habit to satisfy the instinct telling him to nurse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
I cant put anything on his nipples because of his allergies. Why is Riot doing this tho, dont they stop after being weaned?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Who knows why cats do anything?
Sometimes I think it is a comfort-thing. Reminds them of feeling warm, safe and protected with their mother. Sometimes I think it is an instinctual urge, though usually that is seen in *much* younger kittens.

I bottle raised a fawn. She would suck down her bottle of sheep-milk-replacer and didn't get enough of the 'sucking' to satisfy her instinctual urge to nurse for survival ... so she'd walk over to the Great Dane (poor boy!) and suck on one of his upper lips for about 5min. He was a sweet dog to allow her to do that with him.

When we took in the young Trio (maybe 6-7-8wks old?) Toby and Silver would suckle on our male cat's belly. Inky died suddenly (became the reason we try to keep only housecats) and while Toby and Silver stopped their suckling behavior ... their brother Mister, who had *never* suckled on Inky ... became obsessed with suckling on MY thumb. He kept that habit 'til the day he died.

So again, with no rhyme or reason, who knows why cats do the things they do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page