Newly adopted stray kitten too scared to go outside... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Newly adopted stray kitten too scared to go outside...

Hello there - we have recently adopted a stray kitten (according to the vet she's just under a year old) and we've literally only just finished getting our other cat (of 10 months) to go outside to do her toilet business because we really don't have anywhere appropriate for a litter tray in our small house but now our stray so hates to go outside (possibly because of bad memories and associations) Does anyone have any tips to get her used to being outdoors again? Thanks :) x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Premier Cat

You new cat does have bad memories and knows the dangers of outdoors. Surely you can find some place for a litter pan? A friend who had a small apt. kept her cat's litter pan in the bathroom under a small table that was covered with a cloth. The litter pan was out of sight and the cat had no problem going under the cloth to use it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh we do have one for her and it's not really a problem to keep it whilst she needs it but ideally it would be good if she learn to go outdoors eventually and i'd like to teach her that going outdoors is fun as we have a cat friendly garden and our other cat has a lot of fun out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

If this is the kitty who is sick, you shouldn't be encouraging her to go out at all.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We've had an all clear from the vet today that it's a virus that we have meds for (thankfully!) And we're not going to send her out whilst she's sick or against her will obviously it's just that we want to teach her not to be afraid of outside as it's a shame for a young kitty to not be out in the fresh air and playing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Cat Addict

There are countless threads here about inside vs outside. I encourage you to search and read them before you decide what to teach her. I personally wouldn't let my cat outside no matter how inconvenient it is for me. Better that than a potential injury/death from outside dangers such as cars, other cats, dogs, people who hate cats, neighbors who'll resent your cat taking a toilet break in their garden, the list goes on....

If you do want them outside, then you might consider one of those outdoor enclosures so you have some measure of control against them increasing their territory outside your property.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but there's not really any nice way of outlining the potential dangers convincingly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Just a reminder, in other countries, inside/outside cats are the norm. Some adoption agencies won't even let you have cats if you're going to keep them 100% inside.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Cat Addict

Which is why I mentioned outdoor enclosures as an idea.

Anyways, this seems like a moot point if it's a difference in cultures. It'll likely degenerate into endless back and forth verbal volleys much like the raw diet vs commercial foods or the declawing issue. I'll refrain from addressing this issue from hereforth.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just that some people get upset when they read how horrible it is to let your cats outside, when it's normal where they live. Sorry.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Cat Addict

I understand. No hard feelings, Marie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page